This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Training Plans - Run Walk Run confusion

I'm doing Jeff Galloway's half marathon training plan and if the whole point of the training plans is that the plan tells me the interval lengths and what pace should I run, then why on earth there's this "Run Walk Run®" workout where only instruction you get is "Run 9,6km but pick your own pace and splits."

Now I first have to google suggested splits and they are of course only given mile/min so I need to convert those to international units. Then try to figure out how I can keep track of everything because my watch won't help with that.

The whole workout should be removed from the plan if Garmin can't calculate the splits for me!

• 1) It is issue as no timer is available for all Long Easy Run and Easy Run during the whole training (now and in future training ) so required his app ( data fields). 2) when race day, it does not work even using his app but his app work for training 

• I've been recommended this by a friend but it doesn't support some newer devices (mine being the forerunner 265). Would it be difficult to support them?

• I like Jeff's plan. It's designed to teach new skills, injury prevention and provides flexibility so you can get to know your body better. If you watch the training videos that are with the plan, it'll answers a lot of these questions. 

• Thanks! It does not state if the pace is in miles or km, is the default 09:00/mi or 09:00/km?

• I find them to lead to risks of injury. The pacing and training load is way to heavy for novice runners. Some of the instructions are too vague to be pf any use. Especially the benchmark run telling you to run ”hard”. All out, threshold pace, maximum effort? Then it uses the same run to structure your  workouts. I get some suggestions to do 45minute hill repeat sessions on day 3 of my 16 week program, even though I specifically state that my current fitness level is novice. 

My suggestion for novice runners, or more older runners to steer clear of these and maybe find some mpre simple plan from training peaks.

• I’m getting back into running after a 6 year break. I’ve done at least three different Jeff Galloway training plans and they ALL have the LONG RUN AS 0.5 mile RUN then 0.25 WALK. this is distance based so you can walk as slow as you need to recover. These run are as short as 2 miles in the 5k plans to as long as 14 miles in the Half Marathon plan. 
    I just start a Galloway plan on garmin and it has a long run WITHOUT interval. This against the Galloway philosophy. Use intervals 0.5/0.25 miles and repeat 4 or 14 times. 
    I used Jeff Galloway training on Runkeeper before in 2012 to 2016 and then moved to Garmin. This is my first plan on garmin. I hope the suggested runs improve.