This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to synchronize indoor cycling trainer workouts with Garmin Connect?

Hi all,

I am using a Tacx Neo 2 indoor trainer with videos of cycling tours from Tacx desktop application. Latter gives reasonable data for TSS (training stress score), IF (intensity factor), e.g.

In addition I am recording the virtual ride with Marq Athlete. First problem: Marq Athlete receives virtual speed and distance data from Neo sensors which are different from the numbers shown in Tacs Desktop during and after the workouts: In my opinion the Tacx software calculates speed and distance including parameters like virtual areodynamics etc.

Is there any possibility to integrate such parameters into Marq so that the virtual speed and distance between Tacx and Garmin are identical taking into account that Tacx belongs to Garmin?

Second drawback: Garmin device Marq does not get virtual altitude data from the virtual ride, i.e. training statistics parameters like TSS and IF mentioned above are different between the Garmin and Tacx platforms. Unfortunately it seems to be impossible to import data like TSS and IF from Tacx platform into Garmin connect: If I import the Tacx workout as tcx. file into Garmin connect these parameters are missing, i.e. it seems Connect does not use the Tacx workout data for calculation of any cycling dynamics. As a consequence my VO2max calculated in Connect gets poorer and poorer the longer and the more training with the Tacx device.

How can I import the Tacx training data into Garmin connect and making use of TSS, IF and VO2max data?

Thanks in advance

Holger

• Do you have the Neo paired to your MARQ as a power meter? That might help with the VO2 Max issue since the Firstbeat software uses power along with other data to calculate cycling VO2 Max.

As for the speed and distance for virtual rides, for the time being that integration doesn't exist, though with Garmin now owning Tacx it could come about later as the two companies are further integrated. I use a Tacx Neo as well with Zwfit and record on my Garmin watch and I just let the speed and distance be different since virtual speed and distance will vary based on calculation method anyway (Zwift uses power to calculate it while the watch is using rotation count). As long as the Garmin is getting power and HR data VO2 max should still calculate ok.

• Thanks, Paul. Yes, the Neo is the power meter sensor for Marq. However, there is a large difference between TSS and IF in Tacx desktop application and the Garmin system.....Thus, VO2 max differs too....

• +1 bought the Neo 2T because I thought it would sync seamlessly with all of my Garmin devices and account. Simply not the case. Syncs great with Strava which is technically a competitor. Would be really great if Garmin at least mentioned they are working on it.

Ideally you could still run your head unit but when it syncs it merges so you don't have 2 identical activities. Also obviously all of the metrics should be identical.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to thefoodjunky

Quite agree - should have been a no-brainer for Garmin to link the Tacx cloud to Garmin Connect. It would be very easy to do, and many Tacx users will also have Garmin GPS devices. But then, Garmin and software, not a strong point!!

• Hello,
    The problem is solved: after I have activated the option „data recording every second“ instead of the default value „intelligent data recording“ in the Marq menu under System, the TSS, IF etc. are the same between Garmin Marq/Connect and the Tacx Desktop software. This is not a random one-off effect, but has been working for over 4 weeks now. 

Best regards

Holger

• Hi Holger,

I’m having the same issue but I’m my Fenix 5, I just changed the option you said In the system, and will try it later. Is it Still working for you?

Thanks! 

Alejandro

• Hi Alejandro, yes, it is still working