This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VO2 Max estimate way too high

Hi,

I've had a Forerunner 245 Music for 2.5 weeks now. On the first day, I did a 9min "Benchmark Run" (GC shows a pace of 6:59, 138 bpm avg HR). After a day or so, it started showing me a VO2 Max estimate of 54. I believe this to be way too high. I am male, in my thirties, I run *very* rarely. I can't really run longer than 10mins at that pace (I was battered after that benchmark run) and I can run for perhaps 30mins max at a much slower pace (perhaps around 8:00 or so). I do some sports sometimes but not endurance sports/cardio. I ran a 5k once 10 years ago in 31min and I was completely devastated afterwards. Since then, my running fitness has very likely *not* improved.

After a couple of days, I discovered the "Activity Class" setting on my GC Web profile, and I've set it to 3. And I've got very long legs, perhaps that's worth mentioning.

After the first week of using the 245, Training Status started showing me a 5k prediction of 22:04 (and the 10k/half-marathon predictions are about as ridiculously low).
I have not done (m)any longer runs, as I do not/can't run longer - I've done two Run-Walk-Run's from the Coach plan of around 22min and one other 25min run (not from the plan) and a few Drill Workouts from the Coach plan (but not sure Garmin uses these to estimate/improve VO2 Max?).

The thing now is this: I've done a few runs now but my VO2 Max is not going down. However the watch is consistently saying "Training Status Unproductive", that my Fitness is going down, during the runs it's giving me scores of -8, etc. So basically the watch thinks I am some kind of super athlete and that I am currently performing way below how I should be performing.

You can probably imagine how frustrating this must feel. No matter what I do or how hard I run, the watch is telling me I'm doing very badly. Of course I can just ignore the watch but I bought it as a gadget and "training utility" and this is just very demotivating. It also doesn't seem to correct the VO2 Max. So far it just went down from 54 to 53, in three weeks! How long do I have to wait and run until the watch realises I am not a super-athlete? You can imagine it would be much more motivating if my ability was estimated more correctly and I could actually work on *improving*, instead of just seeing how it goes downwards and downwards.

I don't really want to factory reset the watch and loose all my workouts and data from the first 3 weeks. Also I know that there's a field where I can input VO2 Max manually but I have no idea what I should be putting, this is exactly what I would want the watch to figure out for me.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions!

• Training status is primarily based on VO2 max and training load so the status is correct.

The question is if your new VO2 max is correct. Just because you do a really hard run doesn't mean your VO2 max will be higher. It takes time to train your VO2 max so usually you will stay at a pretty set level for a long time moving 1-2 points up and down.

That change in value will make your training status change between the different states. 

• So fascinating! I have the exact opposite! I run consistently, ran a full marathon recently and wasn’t even winded. Yet my V.O2 max is 48-47. It doesn’t improve and Is really a mental setback .

• My understanding is that everyone's VO2max is different, and eventually it reaches a plateau where it doesn't change much anymore. It's not as "trainable" / "improvable" as lactate threshold is (LT), which is more relevant for endurance activities than VO2max. So your results are not surprising to me.

That said, also take Garmin's VO2max estimates with a grain of salt. Since they can't actually measure VO2, they estimate it from heartrate data, using a bunch of secret proprietary algorithms based on empirical test data. Its validity and variation from person to person is not well established.