Corrupt FIT File Repair Requests

Hi,

I would like to load this file into any software, but all of them tell me that it cannot be imported.
For some reason the file is not working (the watch ran out of battery while it was tracking the hike), but I would really like to have it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Top Replies

All Replies

• but don’t have a windows pc available. Any more info on how you proceeded?

With FIT File Tools you don't need a Windows PC. It runs in your browser. Try running the fit file through the section remover without making any adjustments

If that doesn't work for you, then there are additional problems with the file. Attach it to this thread. We can take a look to see if it is repairable.

• Zip the file, then in a reply post Insert >> Image/video/file >> click Upload >> browse for file >> OK.
    • Or upload the fit file to a reputable file sharing service, such as OneDriveGoogle DriveDropbox, make the file public, then paste a link to the file in your post.
  • hi

many thanks for the advice. I tried the section remover but somehow fitfiletools.com gives me as message (after step4) just "Error:".  Any idea what could be going on? Tried before the time adjuster but to no avail either.

Here's the file, many thanks in advance for your help. 

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/8l8cfgd26dtgyouzx04yt/2024-07-30-10-28-42.zip?rlkey=c03sstj7ppmsqfa9kbawrzjz8&st=t9lfy5h6&dl=0

Olli

• Thanks for reaching out. There are two problems with the file:

- There are missing required messages: there are not any record, lap, session, or activity messages. Garmin Connect checks for all all. It's possible they are there in this 96kB file, but at the wrong byte position. It would require a hex editor and a lot of time to check that.

- There are other corrupt but nonessential messages that were triggering Garmin to reject the file. For example, a FileId with timestamp 1991-10-21. This is also possibly caused by messages being at the wrong byte position. The FIT file format is very sensitive to that. One extra or missing byte, and the rest of the file is good as lost.

FitEdit could only the start and end times, from the two valid Event messages. Steps:

- Repair > Backfill to fill the missing messages

- Repair > Additive to remove corrupt and nonessential messages

https://fitedit.io/support/files/2024/08/helvolli.fit

Future mitigations:

Get another device. I had an Edge 520 for a year and it regularly did strange things.
    Record with both your watch and the 520. Merge the files if the Edge causes a problem.

Advertisement: FitEdit is freemium and works on macOS, Windows, Linux, and Android

• Many thanks for your help, much appreciated. Do you know a place / someone who would agree to look into the file for a fee?