This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Option to count unmeasurable gaps as sleep

I have a fenix 5 and I'm regularly seeing "unmeasurable" gaps in my sleep record anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour or more. I _know_ I'm not awake at those times and I assume that just how I sleep messes with the sensor periodically. Would it be possible to add a check box to the profile that tells GC to count that time as "sleep"? Because as things stand the sleep trends, body battery, and stress reports are wonky because it looks like I don't get enough sleep.
  • Hi,

Do you have a solution for this in the main time. I see still the same on my forerunner 245.

Best regards, Gerard

• Having recently moved from a VA1 to a VA3, I share the same issue.

• I have the same issue with my vivoactive 3. What is the solution? 

• I don't know that they ever came up with one. I've noticed since I upgraded to a fenix 6 that I don't see "unmeasurable" elements in my sleep history any more.

• I do not think  they will ever do so. For two reasons:

1. Marking unmeasurable periods as sleep would be more misleading than marking them as what they are, like it is now. If they marked a period that is unmeasurable as sleep, you might get false positive feedback about your health, which would be potentionally much more dangerous than telling you that there is an umeasurable gap in your sleep, and it is then up to you to decide how to interpret it.

2. Garmin, when developing their devices is bound by contracts with insurance agencies who increasingly use fitness devices for the calculation of health benefits to clients willing to use the fitness monitoring. In such case any assumption like the one you propose are not acceptable.

Better than marking the gaps as sleep, would be finding out why it happens in your case. There are several possible reasons - for example bad fit of the wrist band. A common reason might be also sleep apnoea, which induces strong vasoconstriction due to hypoxia. And with a strong vasoconstriction (limited bloodflow in the extremities), the OHRM of the watch cannot function properly.

You can try finding a better fit of the watch, or better position - another hand, inner side of the wrist, higher on the wrist, or using the ankle instead of the wrist, but if you suffer sleep apnoe or another heavy sleep disorder, using a chest HRM band is probably the only reliable solution.

• I don't think Garmin's sleep functionality has enough credibility for it to be taken seriously enough to be dangerous.

• I don't think Garmin's sleep functionality has enough credibility for it to be taken seriously enough to be dangerous.

It would have even less credibility if it told you, you were sleeping even if you did not, at all, and the watch was just laying on the table while you were walking on the roof Slight smile

• Having the same problem

• I'm having the same problem. It's rather annoying. I have the Fenix 5.Have Garmin got any solutions to this? 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 2 years ago

Much as I hated to, swapped out my Fenix for a far less expensive competitor product - not running Ultras anymore so the Garmin was overkill and I’d rather have consistent tracking on the daily activities. If I ever do run something more than 26.2 miles I may charge the Garmin and take it out again.