This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Custom Exercises for workouts

The exhaustive list of exercises available for workouts is nice, but it's also a pain to scroll through or search because most of the exercises I'm accustomed to have different names in the app or just flat out don't exist. I know this has been requested for years, but it still doesn't seem to be available yet. I would have expected a feature this heavily requested and this crucial would have been made available by now.
  • +1 Please add this feature.

• +1 Yes, it would be really helpful to be able to enter a exercise name of your own

• +1 Please, make it possible.

• +1 This. 

Also, would be nice to see Garmin open all the sport modes to all watches like the competing companies. For example, FR245 can track all the things I need, but just does not allow me to have a xc skiing profile on the watch. Currently, limiting sport modes and forcing people to edit the activity names after the exercise just a appears to be a cheap way to do price differentiation. 

• Another +1, though, after spending $300 on the watch, I've figured out that Garmin is a horrible company and even though this feature has been requested for YEARS, they're not going to respond, nor do anything about it. Might as well start screaming into a void.

• Might as well start screaming into a void.

Well, screaming on the user forum is indeed close to screaming into a void. You need to speak to Garmin directly if you wish a new feature. However, if you follow this forum regularly, then you'd know that there are many thousands of different feature requests, and daily appearing new ones. And everyone is screaming that their feature must be implemented immediately. Integrating some of them may be simple, at others (like for example this one), a serious redesign of the current system is needed. So the development department at Garmin certainly has their schedule full of tasks with a higher priority and/or simpler to integrate, hence it may take more time. Your $300 won't help them much to do it faster.

In the meantime just use any of the available exercise names, and put the one you wish to use into the comment of the exercise, instead. It is not something that could prevent you from planning an exercise in the way you wish, hence it is also comprehensible that there are far many more tasks with higher priority on the schedule of the developers.

• Well, screaming on the user forum is indeed close to screaming into a void. You need to speak to Garmin directly if you wish a new feature.

Well; given this forum is where Garmin’s product support direct people who contact them with feature requests, your dismissive patronising towards that poster is somewhat misplaced...

• It is not patronism, rather a friendly advice. If you want to be heard by Garmin, you better contact them directly. The chance they see it here is rather dim. And they direct people to the forum just to filter out queries where users can help each other mutually, without them having to look at all of it.

• If you didn’t mean it in a patronising manner then you may wish to think again about your writing style as it came across extremely condescending and that you were talking down the poster. 

I agree the chances of a suggestion being picked up on here is dim. However if you contact Garmin directly with a suggestion, this is where they direct you. The support team will tell you that it is “actively monitored for user feedback and ideas”. Which is, of course, ***. Because when it suits them they also write this place off as “not a place for official support; but a place for users to help each other”. So basically, wherever you contact them they ignore you. If they did pay any heed to what is posted on here then some of the bugs we have wouldn’t remain unfixed for years and years.