This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Training Effect and Status from 3rd Party Apps

Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions related to the connection between 3rd party apps such as Zwift and Trainer Road with Garmin Connect.

Although I see my activities from Zwift and Trainer Road in Garmin Connect, I've noted a few things:
1. The activities do not show any Training Effect from Trainer Road (example the 0-5 scales of Aerobic or Anaerobic). Activities from Zwift do show a Training Effect, but it's always 0.0 Aerobic and never changes.
2. None of the activities seem to contribute towards my Training Status (according to Garmin, I'm doing nothing with my life ;) )
3. Rides (activities) from Trainer Road are NOT synced to my Edge 1030 with Physio TrueUp, while rides from Zwift ARE synced to my Edge 1030 with Physio TrueUp. The only thing I want to point out here is that a similar idea app has this working, which means that it must be possible to do, but it's just not working yet (or broken) in Trainer Road for what ever reason.

So, can anyone explain how can I get the above working with my Garmin Connect?
I’m pretty sure it’s nothing I need to do, but I’m sitting with support of both Zwift and TrainerRoad and they haven’t really been of much use...
  • Fully agree. The fact that even the people who got the top line models can't get a training effect that includes every activity is terrible. What kind of solution is it to let the users double track and then delete each activity. 

Sadly I believe this will never be implemented. Garmin is trying to make up new features every year, so people still upgrade their devices. If they played nicely, there was no reason to get anything better than a va3m. The hardware is capable of most things. Another point are the supported training plans. There is no reason why some models can't use "custom" or yoga mode. 

• VERY helpful!!  Thank you!!

• Sadly I believe this will never be implemented.

Could be. Although, in the meantime, Garmin acquired the Firstbeat corporation, and I asumme they are now the regular owners of their patents used for the TE analysis, too. Still, the licensing is not the only problem involed. The Firstbeat algorithms need HR Variability data (not only the plain HR data, but also the beat-to-beat variability values) for their calculation. And I am afraid most of the external devices syncing data to Garmin Connect over GPX files, do not include the HRV data, just plain HR, excluding so the same kind of analysis as your own Garmin device can do internally.

There is no reason why some models can't use "custom" or yoga mode. 

How do you know? There certainly is some reason. What it is, and whether it is a technical reason, economical, or a question of marketing, there we can only speculate.

• For example, I have looked at the Zwift files.  They do not contain HRV.   HRV, if you look at all the FirstBeat papers, is what is being used for Training Effect.  So even if Garmin moved to calculating on the site vs the device, if the data needed to calculate isn't there that's a problem.

• HRV, if you look at all the FirstBeat papers, is what is being used for Training Effect

Yes, exactly, that's what I wrote Slight smile

• It is annoying that Garmin promote Zwift activities/events, yet doing an event on Zwift does not count towards the Garmin 'Training Effect' score for the reasons discussed. I just want to get on my bike & ride, not have to fiddle around with dual recording & then go back & manually delete rides/data etc. to avoid duplication. I'm writt

• It is annoying that Garmin promote Zwift activities/events, yet doing an event on Zwift does not count towards the Garmin 'Training Effect' score for the reasons discussed. I just want to get on my bike & ride, not have to fiddle around with dual recording & then go back & manually delete rides/data etc. to avoid duplication. I'm writing this in the hope that somebody from Garmin is taking this issue onboard, probably wishful thinking! I just find it ironic that Garmin promote Zwift events when their system does not integrate properly with Zwift!

• Zwift doesn't record HRV information in their FIT files.  That's what Garmin uses to calculate.  You can't calculate from data that isn't there.  I'm sure Zwift could license those features if they cared.  In an idea world I would love to see Zwift transmit back the speed, elevation and GPS data to the Garmin, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

• Old thread but the link in how to setup zwift and your garmin above doesn't work, anyone have a good link please?

• Have you been able to find any workaround since posting this? I have exactly the same problem. Thanks!