This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Import TCX or GPX - An error occurred with your upload. Please try again.

Hi,

I am seeing "An error occurred with your upload. Please try again." when I try to upload either GPX of TCX files exported from Strava to Garmin connect. I've tried with Chrome and Safari.

Is this some transient issue with GC, or do I need to do something different? I've not had issues uploading files from Strava before.

Thanks.
  • I'm having the same problem. Uploading a route from Strava and also after manipulating it via gpsies.com with no luck. Tried uploading other public TCX routes with no luck (same with GPX).

Was able to upload a route from a Garmin Connect ride that I downloaded, but that doesn't help me.

The browser console indicates an internal error HTTP/500: "error uploading file Alpine Dam + Mt. Tam.tcx status(500)". Looks like a problem with Garmin not being able to parse these files.

Also asked in parallel on Twitter. No response yet.
  • This is a link to the activity I can't import. I've tried as both a TCX and GPX with the same result.

https://www.strava.com/routes/13731793
  • To follow up on this, I used the add timstamp tool here: https://gotoes.org/strava/index.php to create a new GPX file, which I was able to import to Garmin Connect.
  • To follow up on this, I used the add timstamp tool here: https://gotoes.org/strava/index.php to create a new GPX file, which I was able to import to Garmin Connect.

BINGO. Thank you. I like Garmin devices but I think they need to get it toghether with making there software better. Like FB.
  • Hi, I just wanted to jump in at the end of this.
    I exported your Strava GPX and imported it in connect without using another service.
    From connect.garmin.com > Courses, the side bar that pops out with a list of courses has a link at the very bottom right in small text that says "import". Select your GPX and it will create a course.
  • Excellent! That worked perfectly! Odd that there seem to be to import-engines (whereas one is not working).

• many thanks for this

• Thanks! this works.
    Just to clarify, courses are found under training 
    connect.garmin.com > Training > Courses

• There must be a bug in the garmin connect web. Cause I get the same error. Honestly I can't believe in 2019 all this mapping creating -  exporting -  importing and what not is so complicated.

I found a much easier way to deal with this. Create your GPX route on your desired map on your PC. Export it onto a cloud drive ie. Google Drive.

Open Google Drive on your phone. Find your GPX file. Select open with... and Garmin connect will automatically detect it, Select the course type in Garmin connect app. Let Garmin connect generate the route and then click send to device. Voilá.   It's easier that way. No need to connect with USB cable and all that complicated stuff.

• Thanks for that! I've been messing around importing using conversion sites so this removes all that faff!