This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New Badges

I quite like the new badges, although losing sight of my step badges is annoying. I do note that the badges are very heavily weighted towards stepping, running and cycling. Where are all the swimming badges? I would have thought that some of the usual open water and pool swim distances would be worthy of a badge. Come on Garmin...there's a badge for a drone activity but not for a 1 mile swim? Not convinced that flying a drone does much for your fitness.
  • So apparently indoor floor climbing doesn't work very well for these badges.

It does work (I used it too), the problem is your Elevation Gain - you do not see it on the mobile app, you have to look at the activity on Garmin Connect Web - the Elevation Gain is not necessarily identical to the Ascent (it may seem strange, but it is so on all my floor climbing activites). And to get the badge, it is the Elevation Gain, not the Ascent that is decisive.

• I totally get what your saying.  I see the different fields elevation and ascent, and how they're different.  Take a look at the graph in my previous post.  It plateaued about 1/3 of the way in.  I changed my barometer setting from auto to baro because I thought that might help, but I tried it again today and my baro basically got stuck at a certain elevation and stopped increasing/deceasing during my indoor stair activity.  This is pretty frustrating.

• Take a look at the graph in my previous post. 

No, you do not see the Elevation Gain in the Garmin Connect Mobile app. You only see the min and max elevation which do not reveal anything, especially if you repeat going down and up. As I wrote, you have to look at Garmin Connect Web, to see the full info, including the Elevation Gain.

The fact that your altimeter stopped working in the middle happened most likely because the opening ot the pressure sensor got clogged with your sweat. You have to dry it out frequently during any activity, if you want reliable data. Check out some more tips in this thread: What's the secret to tracking stairs accurately?

• No, you do not see the Elevation Gain in the Garmin Connect Mobile app.

I never said I saw it in the app.  I did see it on Connect web in a browser.  Thanks for the info.  Seems like a crappy way to track a floor climbing activity if the baro doesn't work for more than a few minutes and actually climbing floors (the name of the activity and badge) don't get counted accurately or even matter.

• I never said I saw it in the app.  I did see it on Connect web in a browser.

OK, I got confused because you told I should look at the screenshots you posted, where no such info was available. But never mind, what is important is that you know where to look for it. I was not sure about that.

Seems like a crappy way to track a floor climbing activity if the baro doesn't work

Hm, how else would you like to track the floor climbing indoors if not with an altimeter? Accelerometer is not enough, you would need also a 3D gyro, and still it would be much less accurate than a barometric altimeter. You just need to assure that the barometer can work, by keeping it clean (rincing and drying frequently, after each use), checking whether no dirt is stuffed in the hole, and keeping it dry during the activity. It works pretty well, if you learn to use the device correctly, and to care about it accordingly. Read the tips in the thread I posted in my previous post - you can learn some more details how to get the tracking right.

• Hm, how else would you like to track the floor climbing indoors if not with an altimeter?

The watch is smart enough to count floors, and it assigns each floor 10'.  I stopped my first floor climb activity at 35 floors as indicated on my watch.  When I looked at it in Connect Web, it said 35 floors and 350' ascent.  The elevation gain said only 46', which I understand is why the badge wasn't awarded.  So my point is, the badge should trigger based on the ascent.  I used the stairs in my 2-floor house, and my watch knew each time I climbed up and down the stairs.  It counted up 1 floor each time I climbed 1 floor.  Why not use that metric for triggering the badge, as that method seemed pretty accurate (more accurate than the 46' it actually gave me).  I can tell you that the technology in the watch that counted my floor climbing (35 floors / 350' ascent) is much more accurate than the technology in the watch (alt / baro) that counted 46' of elevation gain in a 18 minute activity in which I was climbing up and down my stairs the entire time.  Seems like a no-brainer to me.

I just successfully got the badge after trying again with the following settings:
    ABC Options > Altimeter > Auto Cal. > During Activity > Continuous
    ABC Options > Barometer > Watch Mode > Altimeter

Also, it helped to add a screen for the activity with a Total Ascent data field so I could see exactly what I was being credited with for Elevation Gain (the value that matters for awarding the badge).  

• TRUX - 

How did you track your elevation gained? I walked steps near the trail for over an hour. My fenix 5 tracked it at 201 floors. I set the activity type to floor climbing, which worked to earn the Narrows a few days before. I earned nothing for my efforts today, which was 3x longer than my previous activity. 

• How did you track your elevation gained?

I use the Floor Climb activity too. I tried both with the default parameters (no GPS for indoors floors), and also with GPS (since I was running stairscales outdoors on a hill slope). Using the GPS has the advantage, that when your barometric altimeter fails, you can enable the Elevation Correction option, and get a more realistic Elevation Gain.

Below, the parameters of my four Floor Climbes for the badges (EG stands for Elevation Gain):

• Angels Landing (1500 ft) - 161 floors, EG 537 m (1761 ft)    [without GPS]
    • Mist Trail (1000 ft) - 108 floors, EG 506 m (1660 ft)   [with GPS and Elevation Correction]
    • Druid Arch (735 ft) - 74 floors, EG 360 m (1181 ft)   [with GPS and Elevation Correction]
    • The Narrows (334 ft) - 39 floors, EG 132 m (433 ft)   [with GPS and Elevation Correction]

It is the Elevation Gain shown in the details of the Floor Climbing Activity in Garmin Connect Web (not visible in GC Mobile on the phone!), that is the ultimate condition to receive the badge, although the description speaks about the Ascent.

Logically, both Ascent and Elevation Gain should be in fact identical, and I do not quite understand why they always differ. Additionally, it sometimes happens that Ascent is higher than Elevation Gain, while in other cases it is vice versa. Both values should be calculated with the help of the barometric altimeter, though the accelerometer plays some role in detecting steps, but I do not know what the exact algorithm is. I just see that the number of floors usually closely matches the Ascent in meters divided by 3. And I also know how to make the floor detection, and the altimeter working relatively reliably, hence I use to have less problems than inexperienced users.

You can also customize the screens of the Floor Climbing activity, and add fields like Elevation, Ascent, Elevation Gain, and many others, which may help you to know when you reached the threshold.

• What App is exactly? I don't see it on my Fenix 3HR. Am I missing something?

• What App is exactly? I don't see it on my Fenix 3HR. Am I missing something?

I am sorry, I do not understand what you are referring to. I do not know what app you are asking for, and for what purpose. This is a longer thread, with a lot of information, so it is always better quoting the sentence you reffer to, so that the counterpart can pick up easily and follow you better.