This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Ability to change "Sleep Goal" from 8 hours

I did some research on this and apparently the 8 hour sleep goal is hard coded in. You can change your 'normal wake/bed time' in User Settings but it does NOT change your sleep goal. I realize 8 hours is an age old standard, but not having the ability to change this is very frustrating. The only time I sleep 8 hours is when I'm sick. A lot of us live healthy lives on way less than that, thus we should have the ability to change it like we can our step goals. Thanks!
  • Ah. Its updated every month  or so. Only thats awkward.

• Ah. Its updated every month  or so. Only thats awkward.

But where exactly do you see it in Garmin Connect Web?

• you can find the sleep-goal in the web-version (pc).

health-statistics / sleep / -> there you will find it.

• Hi, can you give more detail? I can find the goal where you describe, which is hardcoded to 8h, but I cannot see where to change that goal.  This whole thing ids about being able to change the goal.

• You cannot change it. Live with it, and sleep as you want. Nothing will change, nobody will punish you, if you do not sleep 8h. I hope at least.

• That's exactly the point. You can change all orher goals - but NOT the sleep-goal.

• You cannot change plenty of other things in the life. And in Garmin Connect too. For example you cannot change that you get the Marathon badge for the full Marathon, and not just for 5km. It is simply a fixed goal set to 8hr, and that's it. Anyway, you do not gain any points for meeting the goal, so if the tiny gray number 8 really disturbs you so much on the screen, take a permanent marker and write 7 over it (or whater else you want).

• ??

This thread is abou the ability to change the "Sleep Goal". Several people would like to do so - because of different reasons. If you dont want it - your choice.

We all know, that it is not necessare to change the sleep goal. Neither is it to change the step goal - or even to have a step goal or to wear a device that measures it. We just want it. ;-)

Maybe you can live with it that other people are different than you.

• Several people would like to do so - because of different reasons.

I would like to know the reason - just out of curiosity. Don't get me wrong. I am not against that feature. But for years I am trying to understand the amount of frustration this issue is causing.

Neither is it to change the step goal

Incorrect. A step goal - either custom or automatic - can be used by the user in many scenarios, and is used by Garmin Connect for some features, like for example challenges or personal records. Whereas the sleep goal is not used anywhere - neither by the user  (a user can perfectly well remember his/her sleep goal without looking into Garmin Connect) nor by Garmin Connect. As I see it, setting it to any value is simply pointles, unless Garmin implements some use for it.

• I think it's a matter of motivation. Many people are trying to get more sleep or better sleep and seeing that bar full and green check mark can be motivating to help make it a habit. Not everyone needs or can get 8 hours so being able to change that might help some with motivation vs seeing the incomplete goal in Connect.

I am fully aware that it doesn't effect the ability for someone to get the amount of sleep they want but I think that's beside the point. Everyone motivates themselves differently and for some having a goal they feel they can accomplish and the positive feedback loop from the watch could help. Just like a step goal is motivation to be more active and a floors climbed goal does the same.