This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Blended 'Training Status' from multiple Garmin devices

I use a Fenix 5 for running & a Edge 820 for cycling. The training status is a great feature which I've now started to seriously use as part of my training analysis. Do any Garmin reps know when we will see Garmin Connect use results from multiple devices to give a blended training status score? Surely this is somewhat easy as all can be calculated on Garmin Connect and not locally on any one device.
  • I second this. I need this functionality big time. I have a Forerunner 935 and an Edge 1030. I use my 1030 for my cycling activities which is 70% of my workouts and the 935 for everything else. The recovery time and training analysis is just garbage for me now. Connect only uses the 935's activities to calculate my training status. Connect says I'm being unproductive but my 1030 says to rest 3 days since I've been riding mostly this week.
  • I second this. I need this functionality big time. I have a Forerunner 935 and an Edge 1030. I use my 1030 for my cycling activities which is 70% of my workouts and the 935 for everything else. The recovery time and training analysis is just garbage for me now. Connect only uses the 935's activities to calculate my training status. Connect says I'm being unproductive but my 1030 says to rest 3 days since I've been riding mostly this week.

i second that :( i have a fenix 5X and a edge 1030 and frankly the trainingstatus is completely useless as it is now :( the only way is to record everything on my fenix 5X and delete the activity on the edge BUT that cant be done on a edge 1030 anymore
  • I would love this too. On the fence about getting a 1030, and this would help me make up my mind.
  • This and why oh why don't my devices sync up? By that I mean if I cycle using my Edge 820, why doesn't my fenix 3 KNOW my last activity was a bike ride? After both devices have synced with GC they should know what has occurred. My fenix only KNOWS the last activity the fenix recorded.
  • I’m considering buying both a Fenix 5 and Edge 1030 this Christmas, but the stats not syncing/blending from multiple devices in Connect is the one thing that keeps me on the fence about plucking down that kind of cash for those two devices. I don’t understand why Garmin can’t combine those stats within Connect to provide a single figure considering it’s already pulling over most of that information. If Garmin decides to implement that feature I would make my decision much easier.

For those of you that have multiple devices for running and cycling, could you maybe share your experience how you analyze data and work around the fact that the two devices really don't talk to each other or that Connect doesn’t blend the stats into a single score? Does anyone use a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party app like Training Peaks to pull the data from the two devices?
  • I use a Fenix 5X and an Edge 520. I would definitely like to have them able to combine stats and hopefully we'll get that feature at some point but until then what I do is use both during a ride. They are both paired to the same sensors (HR, power meter, etc) and for the most part once I start the activity on the Fenix I ignore it until I'm done and end the activity. I then save it on the Fenix and make sure it syncs. As long as it does I then discard the activity on the Edge, if for some reason it didn't sync I'd save the Edge activity instead. This is hardly ideal but I prefer the Edge display while cycling but want combined stats so this is how I do it. Another option some people use is to sync the devices to separate Connect accounts and then just use one as their primary.
  • Does discarding an activity on any device (Fenix5 or 1030) keep the data for Training Status measurements?

I normally ride with both on, and then sync both, having to delete one of them on Garmin and Strava. By just discarding one I will save a lot of time, while still preserving the Training Status data.

I use a Fenix 5X and an Edge 520. I would definitely like to have them able to combine stats and hopefully we'll get that feature at some point but until then what I do is use both during a ride. They are both paired to the same sensors (HR, power meter, etc) and for the most part once I start the activity on the Fenix I ignore it until I'm done and end the activity. I then save it on the Fenix and make sure it syncs. As long as it does I then discard the activity on the Edge, if for some reason it didn't sync I'd save the Edge activity instead. This is hardly ideal but I prefer the Edge display while cycling but want combined stats so this is how I do it. Another option some people use is to sync the devices to separate Connect accounts and then just use one as their primary.

• I can't really say since the Edge 520 doesn't do all of the training status metrics that the Fenix 5X does (which is why I discard the ride on the Edge and keep the data from the Fenix). However, when I discard the activity on the Edge it still gives a recovery time so my guess is it would. It shouldn't matter much though since if you keep the data from the Fenix it will have the training status from that and if you use that for every activity it should be correct.

This may be less of an issue next year, if this comment from DCRainmaker is correct: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/10/garmin-running-power.html#comment-2514744

You’ll see more/better integration of FirstBeat going into Q1 2018, mostly on the backend for things like cross-device sync between multiple devices (Edge/Vivo/Fenix/Forerunner), as well as site/app surfacing of that information.
    You’re starting to slowly see things. Garmin is keenly aware of the gap here and looking to remedy. As they themselves noted ‘it’s impacting our best customers’. It won’t be a switch overnight, but you’ll just start seeing the individual gaps be filled one at a time.
  • Does anyone know when this is likely to be resolved? I use a Fenix 5 for running & indoor cycling, and a Garmin Edge Explore for road cycling/touring. I don’t use the Fenix for recording the long cycles (5, 6 hrs plus) as the battery wont last. So when I do a long spell of cycling all my training status figures go out of the window. Really frustrating.
  • I thought Physio TrueUp has already been successfully implemented, and rolled out to select/targeted device models.
    https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=EjPECQK58qA0xzJ5X74vm7