This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Getting weight measurements INTO Garmin Connect - 3 ways only?

As far as i can tell there are only 3 ways to get your weight measurement into Garmin Connect:

1. Input it in manually.
2. Buy a Garmin scale and stand on it.
3. Get your weight into myfitnesspal then connect it to Garmin to sync automatically.

Does anyone have any other ways to sync weight measurements INTO Garmin's ecosystem?

[Aside: I record my weight with a Withings/Nokia scale and sync it with myfitnesspal. But for other reasons i don't want Garmin and myfitnesspal connected (crazy high step calories from my 735XT syncing across and screwing up my daily calorie goals). I can easily get my weight into other services, but Garmin ONLY seems to take input from the 3 options above. Note iOS Health sync is a total failure as well.]

Thanks!
  • Hi there,

I know this is an old thread  but its the right topic.

I have a renpho scales that syncs to my fitness pal. MFP is connected to GC for calories, but I don't see an option in GC under the weight report in GC and no weight is coming through, despite me selecting everything in MFP to sync.

Any ideas? Thank you!!

• Hi there,

I know this is an old thread  but its the right topic.

I have a renpho scales that syncs to my fitness pal. MFP is synced to GC for calories, but I don't see a reference to sync in GC under the weight report and no weight is coming through, despite me selecting everything in MFP to sync.

Any ideas? Thank you!!

• MFP weight syncing does not work - (or only one time at first access)

I guess the api does not support weight import .

But you can use smartscalesync. (15$/a)

• Thank you - have you tried it? I wouldn't mind paying that once a year to have it working.

• I use it for a fitbit scale. the sync with fitbit is (mostly) working. otherwise they fix it fast. 

In the Q&A is wirtten: " the Renpho scale can auto-sync with Fitbit, and then you can set Fitbit to be your weight source in Smart Scale Sync."

So you may test first the sync with fitbit. 

They have 30 days money back guarantee. but I don't know any working cost free alternate. 

• thanks a lot. the fitbit sync is working for me already so i think i'll give it a go.

• Amazing that after years of comments all over these forums, GC can't read weight from other apps in particular Apple Healthkit, which syncs with everything. 

• I guess that's a conscious decision of making as few integrations as possible to keep people inside own ecosystem. Nearly every system is try to keep stability and as you said yourself there are years of comments which didn't change situation and business is still running, so why break something what's working? I'm sure that such integrations can appear and they can do that pretty fast if that become beneficial or can drive new people to Garmin, so far I don't see such possibility. Maybe if competition on the market become tougher it could change but I doubt that.

• Yes, as you say, they're presumably making a business judgement, since one coder could do this connector in an afternoon, and integrating with HealthKit is exceedingly well documented and reliable and would give them essentially universal integration/interoperability.  

So that implies either that they're either intentionally trying to keep people in their ecosystem, which is a terrible tactic because it erodes their brand.  You can see complaints all over these forums and, more importantly, on Amazon reviews about not being able to use bluetooth scales other than Garmin's.  After all, tracking weight is important, just like sleep or exercise, to anyone into fitness, including elite both novice and elite athletes.  

Alternatively, it implies it's just poor organization, which is supported by general bugginess of the GC app and other annoying items that are also frequently discussed here in there forums, like not being able to manually add naps, which are a key performance strategy to certain athletes and professionals, to sleep tracking.

I'm not saying the app is bad, it's actually quite good in terms of breadth of functionality, general aesthetics and customizability.  It just has all these rough edges and weak points that would be easy to fix, and it's pretty buggy.  The watch UI and the number of different watches in the product line reveal a certain non-systematic, non-rationalized approach to development and product management — their continued success depends on fixing these issues at an organizational level.

Anyhow, seems like it would be obvious to pour through the forums and do as many easy fixes as they could — lots of quick ROI there.  If a few people are speaking up and asking questions, then a lot more have the issue.

• you've nailed few good points, and I believe that it's rather poor organization of the process, I see that the developers are working and improving things, which is good, but having such a huge line of products is impractical.
    Everyone including company itself would benefit if they narrow down their product line a bit and focus on those devices which are left.