This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Add Snorkeling activity type

Seriously, you have Wingsuit Flying, which can't be all that common, but don't have Snorkeling. I used Open Water Swimming, but it's not anywhere near the same thing (the point of snorkeling is to be calm and almost lazy). And in case you're wondering, my Forerunner 15 did just fine tracking a snorkeling outing and making sense of things. Obviously it didn't capture position when I went underwater, but on the surface it did fine, essentially dropping breadcrumbs here and there, enough to see where the reef was.

while you're at it, add Tubing. (Or Inner Tubing. Or Floating Down A River On A Tube. I mean...Wingsuit Flying. Sheesh.)

Top Replies

All Replies

• What can I say....... Agree

• I’ll second that. Have a garmin instinct 2 solar and apparently I swam 1 yard in 17 minutes of snorkelling!!!

• Definitely agree that Snorkeling should be added.

• I’ll second that. Have a garmin instinct 2 solar and apparently I swam 1 yard in 17 minutes of snorkelling!!!

The GPS signal can be received only above water, so make sure you keep the watch above the surface whenever possible.

For snorkeling either use OW swimming or Apnea Diving. If Apnea not available for your watch, install a CIQ app, or you can also change the type to Apnea Diving in Garmin Connect

• Hi trux, sure I agree on those options (OW Swimming is what I have been using) but it is just a work around.

There are many people who do Swimming & Apnea but also enjoy snorkeling - mixing the activities will surely mess up your stats...

• Well, snorkeling is apnea, too. Unless you never immerse, and then it is just an OW swim anyway. Apnea is not only competitive freediving.

Sure a separate discipline for snorkeling would not be bad, but then you'd need also more of them for all the freediving disciplines, and tens of thousands of others for all other human sports and activities. And I am afraid that's not going to happen any soon. However, if you want to add a new discipline, I recommend suggesting it to Garmin at Share Ideas | Garmin, since posting about it here on the user forum won't have any impact on Garmin's plans.

• Cool, appreciate your response & suggestions. We agree to disagree - I think snorkeling is very different from both freediving and open water swimming.

I was not aware of the Ideas link and have submitted the suggestion there. Thank you for sharing that!

• Yes. Especially into the Descent line. My G1 record automatically every snorkelin session as apnea and theres no option to change it. Then it mixes with freediving trainings ... Pls add it Call me