This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Change Bikes for different activities Road or Mountain bikes

Hi, i do both road and off road cycling on two different bike, I switch profiles on a 1000 to the relevant bike, but all of the data is only recorded about the road bike such as total distance, any idea how i can make this work, so when i select the correct profile, it knows what bike I am using and records the correct data?
  • As you are posting to the GC forum instead of the device forum I presume that you are referring to the presentation in GC. You have to create Gear and assign them to the relevant Activities. Then, looking at the Gear, you can see the totals.
  • From what I've been able to tell you can assign gear automatically to "cycling" but not any particular type of cycling.
    I noticed this because my mountain bike got automatically added to an "indoor cycle" I did in the gym.
    There appears to be no way to avoid your normal bike being added to indoor bike workouts.
    The only way would seem to be to manually edit the activities every time, which is a bit silly.
    Ideally you should be able to assign bikes to specific cycling activity types.
  • >>From what I've been able to tell you can assign gear automatically to "cycling" but not any particular type of cycling.<<

This is incorrect. You can indeed assign a specific type of cycling in settings without the need to edit. On each ride, with different bikes, my rides are automatically assigned to "road cycling." It is confirmed, and is editable if desired, at the bottom of the display when one selects "save ride."

Perhaps you have an older firmware installed. This feature was added some time ago in one of the updates. See the full history for more information.

Also, I have set up different profiles for each bike and they each display relative totals under history (and odometer if that is a selected data field within the profile).
  • On each ride, with different bikes, my rides are automatically assigned to "road cycling."

That's a bit different though. What you are talking about is having multiple bikes that both get assigned to the "road cycling" activity but they keep different total statistics.

I am talking about having one bike that I only want to be automatically added to "mountain bike" activity, and not be used at all with "indoor bike" activity.

If you were to do an indoor bike activity, would one of your road bikes get assigned to it?

In any case, I can't see where I can set this in the Garmin Connect Gear settings. See below.....

PS - I should add that while I do have an Edge 520, this screen from Garmin Connect is when used with my Fenix 5. Maybe that is the difference.
  • I'd have to test that setup since I have my indoor cycling profile linked to Kickr and not a specific bike.
  • I am also annoyed by the lack of this feature on the Fenix watches... I also have an Edge 520 and that lets me to select a different bike profile for each ride. I took a look at the FIT file specification and the SDK and the difference boils down to the Edge sends the name of the bike you've selected as the name of the "Sport" - the Fenix just sends the generic string "Bike".

Edge: 
      Sport Name: Stache <-- matches the name of a bike profile in GC
      Sport: CYCLING
      SubSport: MOUNTAIN

Fenix:
      Sport Name: Bike
      Sport: CYCLING
      SubSport: MOUNTAIN

• Do you use bicycle insurance?