This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Save as Course from Activity (imported from OS Maps/Plotaroute GPX) Truncates to 4km

TL;DR: Selecting 'Save as Course' on a 7.6km walking activity (imported from a GPX created on OS Maps app and put through plotaroute.com) creates a truncated 4km course.

I'm trying to get from a route plotted using Ordnance Survey's Maps app to a course on my new Fenix 5. Thanks to this thread (https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?368038-How-to-import-gpx-or-tcx-files-as-courses-in-Garmin-Connect), I'm following the following steps:

• Create route on OS Maps app
  • Save route as GPX
  • Import route into plotaroute.com
  • Save route from plotaroute.com as GPX (this seems to add metadata required to import into Garmin Connect (GC))
  • Import the GPX file into GC as an activity
  • Save the activity to a course within GC
  • Delete the activity in GC (and Strava, where it will have been copied to!)
  • Send course to Fenix 5 using GC Mobile

This all works fine, except that the course created (within GC - i.e. before I get it into the watch) is truncated to 4km, even though the activity shows the full length.

I've tested this with a few different routes/activities created in this way, and the same thing happens each time - always 4km. However, if I try to 'Save as a Course' from a 'genuine' activity created on the Fenix 5, it doesn't get truncated. So it must be something to do with the particular GPX files created by OS Maps / plotaroute.com.

Has anyone come across this or got any ideas? Thanks!
  • Came across this the other day looking to import a course provided by a website. The .gpx file loaded up ok and was visible as an activity. Only first bit was visible when saved as a course. Created the course myself in the end. Not ideal, but I don't do this very often so though nothing of it.

Track file came from here - http://www.goldfieldstrack.com.au/Pages/Explore/Leanganook_Track.aspx
  • I use the OS app and like it - but although I could upload the OS GPX file to Garmin Connect it would not let me save the file (and hence I could not send to device). Garmin's response was 'third party file - can't help'.  Eventually found this solution and it worked first time. Frustrating I have to put the OS map through another app to get it to Garmin Connect, but once mastered it is no problem.  Several hours of frustrating dead ends now resolved - thanks!

• BTW, if you are using Plotaroute, you can also export the route in the Garmin FIT file format, and put it directly on the watch. It saves you some extra steps.