This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Manual Import for tcx not working--FIXED!

I haven't been able to import .tcx files for the last two days. The files were created by Trainerroad, everything worked alright before that.
I already talked to Trainerroad and they didn't change anything in the last few days.

Is Garmin currently working on the import function?
  • Not fixed, not addressed, not sufficiently acknowledged...

Importing data into this little walled garden of yours has been more problematic than not since the dawn of gpx data exchange. The mere fact that reporting, processing, handling of customer queries on this front is never ending should make you folks wonder... Why is data exchange so straightforward for non-garmin developers and platforms?? (Hint: it's not because you're on the leading edge...)

I had a better cold conversation with the Strava folks at RedHookCrit a few weeks ago than I did with your own people at the 2017 NY Bike Expo on this topic. Oh, wait, as it turns out, you should hire the Strava techs ... They actually know what they are talking about and communicate with their customers...

So... we live on... we pay premium prices for these products while the back end remains less than rock solid... expectations for data import are nil...

Expectations of excellence are nil... and mediocre is too high a bar

So there ya go, pressure's off...

Yeah, I agree. I think the other companies are way ahead on Garmin when it comes down to software. Garmin Connect app is mediocre at best and the website is really dumb sometimes. On top of that, they charge $5K to access their API. It kind of sucks. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Here's an easy fix: edit the .tcx file and change the word "Bike" to "Biking" like this:

<Activity Sport="Biking">

After that one change, the import worked. I tried it on several files that wouldn't upload and it worked on all of them. I hope Wahoo or Garmin will patch this since it's so trivial.
  • Hey all... Digging this thread, because I'm having this very same problem. I can't import TCX files from my tacx cloud and always get the error message "An error occurred with your upload. Please try again." Guess this wasn't\isn't very well addressed, or what am I doing something wrong and some kind of conversion is needed?

Also opened the tcx file and Activity Sport is already set to Biking by default, so that also ain't gonna do it...
  • Hi everyone! I just bought the Polar H10 heart rate chest strap. I tried to use it while I was playing basketball (without my smartphone or Garmin Fenix 5). However I was not able to manually import my HR data to Garmin Connect. I have uploaded the file to the One Drive link provided in this thread.

Please tell me what can be done to fix this!
  • Not sure what has happened but I cannot import .tcx files today to Garmin Connect. Worked yesterday (and since the issue in March of 2017), not today. Trainer file on Cycleops GPS Joule converted to a Garmin tcx file, try to import into GC and I get the message "An error occurred with the upload. please try again". Funny, this coincides with the today's new facepage for GC (?)
  • Same here, hangs on sync from Garmin Express (Edge 705) and no manual upload either. File is not corrupt as WKO+, Strava, etc. were fine with it.

Edit: also not working for GPX files.
  • Hey Guys, I ran into this problem as well and wanted to report how I fixed it. The specific .tcx files that weren't working for me were activities that were synced from TomTom MySports to Strava and then downloaded from Strava using Strava's bulk export utility.

I noticed there was extraneous whitespace before a few of the opening tabs in each of the .tcx file. I performed the following to fix the issue (this was performed on Fedora 29, but identical steps will work on other linux flavors and probably MacOS. This should easily translate to Windows as well as long as perl is installed):

1. Downloaded files from strava
    2. Extracted all the .tcx.gz files
    3. Copied the .tcx files to a separate working directory (for easy restoration in case I broke anything)
    4. Removed the leading whitespace with the following perl one-liner:
    perl -i -pe 's/[ \t]+</</g' *.tcx
    Note: This could also be done by hand in a text editor

5. Uploaded the files to Garmin Connect

Pay attention when you do this because you could easily break things if you aren't careful. I won't take responsibility if you end up making bulk changes to the wrong files.

Always work on copies and never run scripts you find online unless you fully understand what they do.

I don't know if the whitespace was added by Strava or TomTom, but I will give Garmin a little credit and say these files were malformed so it makes sense that the upload failed.
  • Thanks, this helped me to upload few years of activity,