This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Error uploading TCX from Fitbit

Hi all. I'm migrating my data from microsoft and fitbit to garmin.

I've successfully gone through the process and gotten everything from microsoft (csv for dailies, tcx for activities).

I'm having a lot of problems getting the fitbit activites to upload properly. Every time I've uploaded any of my fitbit activities I get a generic error "An error occurred with your upload. Please try again."

I am assuming something is wrong with the format but it would be really helpful is someone could point me towards a next step. I've validated the file is correct opening it on http://www.mygpsfiles.com/

I've attached the one I'm trying to get work.

Thanks in advance.
  • Error import fitbit file

I tried to import the file in Garmin connect and also in Training centre both got an error.

Can you try to export this file as a gpx file and then try.

I am not sure why it fails because it is an Garmin based file

The top of your file
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
    <TrainingCenterDatabase xmlns="www.garmin.com/.../v2">

Bottom
    <Creator xsi:type="Device_t" xmlns:xsi="www.w3.org/.../XMLSchema-instance">
    <Name>Fitbit Surge</Name>
    <UnitId>0</UnitId>
    <ProductID>0</ProductID>
    </Creator>
    </Activity>
    </Activities>
    </TrainingCenterDatabase>

Looking inside the file it appears to be good

JR
  • Hi all. I'm migrating my data from microsoft and fitbit to garmin.

I've successfully gone through the process and gotten everything from microsoft (csv for dailies, tcx for activities).

I'm having a lot of problems getting the fitbit activites to upload properly. Every time I've uploaded any of my fitbit activities I get a generic error "An error occurred with your upload. Please try again."

I am assuming something is wrong with the format but it would be really helpful is someone could point me towards a next step. I've validated the file is correct opening it on http://www.mygpsfiles.com/

I've attached the one I'm trying to get work.

Thanks in advance.

I just recently switched from Fitbit to Garmin and haven't been able to get any Fitbit exports to import successfully into Garmin either. For activity and body data, it seems from various threads on here that the fault is shared between Fitbit and Garmin. Fitbit is outputting poorly-formatted files which cause the same errors you are seeing. I've seen people fix the poor formatting, and their imports appear successful, but then they don't actually see any of the imported data in Garmin Connect. It could be that Garmin hard-coded in some amount of handling for Fitbit's poor formatting, but then perhaps Fitbit changed their format a little more and broke it. I dunno. You would think, because Garmin specifically refers to "Fitbit Files" on the Import page, that it would stay on top of this though. But I guess not. This has been going on for many months and I haven't seen any response from Garmin on the issue.

Getting back to the TCX files, I have the same problem as you. It could be that Fitbit is doing something funny to the file here as well, although it sounds like you have investigated that. I know you said it looks ok, but I wonder if you have compared to a garmin exported TCX file. Maybe that would show some small difference.

I tried to import the file in Garmin connect and also in Training centre both got an error.

Can you try to export this file as a gpx file and then try.

I am not sure why it fails because it is an Garmin based file

The top of your file
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
    <TrainingCenterDatabase xmlns="www.garmin.com/.../v2">

Bottom
    <Creator xsi:type="Device_t" xmlns:xsi="www.w3.org/.../XMLSchema-instance">
    <Name>Fitbit Surge</Name>
    <UnitId>0</UnitId>
    <ProductID>0</ProductID>
    </Creator>
    </Activity>
    </Activities>
    </TrainingCenterDatabase>

Looking inside the file it appears to be good

JR

Fitbit will not let you export as a gpx file. It only does tcx.