This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New Gear Date - Why can't I edit this?

Why can't we edit the date for new gear? I see posts going back 5 years asking this question so its a known issue. What's the point of locking this field?
  • Quite simply, you can't because you lack the capability. You lack the capability because you cannot develop or provide it for yourself, and nobody who can has offered it to you. They're not obliged to justify to you their decision not to offer, and you're not in a position to coerce them, either to give you the capability or at least an explanation.

Anyway, there is no compelling reason why the First Use date of an item of gear needs to be changed after initial creation. It's up to you to be careful and not make a mistake in the first place; and, if you discover your mistake before you start associating activities with it, the effort required to remove the gear item and create a new one (with the correct First Use date) in its stead is trivial.
  • But it would be nice to be able to add previous use to gear used. Like others, I have gear that predates the ability to add gear to Garmin Connect and cannot set the previous use. For instance, my bike has over 30000km, but only 5000 in Garmin Connect.

I'm sure Garmin are aware of this. I've certainly sent them several emails. I know others have too.
  • Sorry, but I think you're conflating two different issues there

Like others, I have gear that predates the ability to add gear to Garmin Connect and cannot set the previous use.
    Is there anything stopping the user from adding gear with the actual First Use date, which could have been long before Garmin Connect ever came into being?

For instance, my bike has over 30000km, but only 5000 in Garmin Connect.
    That's a different issue from the First Use date issue that STOGISMOKER was whinging about. I just create a manual activity that is backdated to before I bought my Garmin FR235 and registered for a Garmin Connect account, to account for pre-existing mileage on old shoes. The manual activity doesn't even have to have activity type of Running, if avoiding messing up the statistics for the category is a concern.
  • In the context of not being able to do 'stuff', it's similar. When adding gear that is new to Garmin Connect (not the same as adding new gear) it would be useful to have the option to configure the base mileage to reflect previous use. Thinking here of people who are new to Garmin Connect and have already in-use gear they want to track. I have several pairs of running shoes and three bicycles that I track mileage on. Sure I can backdate the start-by-date, but that's not the same thing as being able to start the count from where it is. Of course, eventually as I replace shoes I can add the new ones. But I am not going to be replacing my bikes anytime soon.

Yes, a workaround would be to put remaining mileage in the max distance box - assuming here that Garmin will generate an alert when said gear is near end of life. Or as you suggest.
  • - assuming here that Garmin will generate an alert when said gear is near end of life.
    No, it won't, but it will generate a notification (which you cannot get rid of) in Garmin Connect once the gear item has reached the max distance you specified for the gear item.

You can even elect in Email Notifications settings for your Garmin Connect account to receive email for such notifications. Obviously, though, the goal of the feature is to let the user know after the fact so he/she can then scurry to address the issue, instead of prompt him/her to plan ahead without requiring that he/she check the Gear section in Garmin Connect (online or in a mobile app) or his/her user profile in a Garmin Connect Mobile app regularly.
  • But it would be nice to be able to add previous use to gear used. Like others, I have gear that predates the ability to add gear to Garmin Connect and cannot set the previous use. For instance, my bike has over 30000km, but only 5000 in Garmin Connect.

A workaround is to create manual activities containing the extra mileage for the dates concerned and add the gear to these activities either manually or using the the automatic function when you add a new piece of gear and specify the type.

There is a limit to the size of a single activity which is 1500 km so you would need to create 20 manual activities. If you happen to know your annual/monthly/quarterly mileage etc this might actually be useful so that you can then use the reporting to compare current and previous years' mileage and "beat yesterday" etc.

• See here for a way to edit the first use date of gear if you have a PC, Mac or Android. https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into...51#post1451051

EDIT: To better answer the OP’s (2 year old question) you can’t do it because Garmin decided you don’t need to or it doesn’t make sense. But as the numerous complaints about this behaviour over five years indicate, it does make sense to some ppl. Garmin is under no obligation to provide this functionality, but then again, it doesn’t hurt to question Garmin’s decisions in cases like this. Garmin can only benefit from feedback about situations where the UX for a product is less than optimal. Assuming Garmin cares whether its customers are happy.

I’ll just repeat what I said in the other thread and say that I don’t think the “first use date” should even be a thing. I think it just unnecessarily complicates things. In all cases, just hide retired gear. Let users temporarily unretire gear if they have to add retired gear to old activities. Or provide a button to select retired gear. Simple as that.

Strava doesn’t have a first use date for gear.
  • This may be old but my two cents and asking Garmin to add the option to change the start date. The reason is I have used Connect with my Edge 1030 for a 7 months. Just learning. I only use for cycling. I have gear for each bike, gear for the trainer and gear for all bicycles. Well I missed a few months with the total and trainer. I’d like to go back and correct it. In hind site I should have created dummy gear to be able to use. 

So Garmin people do follow these threads. So here is my request. There may be technical reasons or even corporate editors ethical reasons. If enough request it they will figure it out. Keeps the customers happy and loyal. 

• 3 Years later, still the same problem here.

I added "rental" bike as new gear to collect all miles ridden on rental bikes during holidays and stared correcting some previous activities only to find out it had defaulted to 31 December and now inexplicably the start date cannot be corrected.

So now the question is do I delete the rental bike and start all over or just leave the mileage unallocated?

At least I would like Garmin to explain the reason why this cannot be corrected