This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

see all date exported in .fit file - maybe excel oder some other program?

Dear all
I exported all my data in a .fit file. I would like to compare my heart rate with some other device and therefore want to see it in Excel or some other program I can work with. How can I do this?
Thank you
  • For example with the FIT CSV tool (exports FIT to CSV).
  • For example with the FIT CSV tool (exports FIT to CSV).

thank you, I've tried. it says "Tip: drag files onto the relevant .bat file to convert them." What does this mean? I unzipped the downloaded file and I can start FitGen, but this just runs through and I don't know where to put the file.
    Thank you for your help.
    Is the heart rate actually in this .fit file if I Export all date from vivoactive HR?
  • The way I use this tool is:
    java -jar FitCSVTool.jar -b filename.fit filename.csv
    The FIT SDK contains more information on how to use the FITCSV tool in the "FIT SDK Introductory Guide Rev 2.3" PDF.
    Assuming you have Java installed, otherwise it can be downloaded from the Oracle java site.
    Is the heart rate actually in this .fit file if I Export all date from vivoactive HR?

If it is an activity file (from a run or bike session etc) and HR is enabled during the session, it should be in there. In monitor files (containing the day-to-day activity tracker data) it should also be recorded.
    I must say I have no experience with Vivoactive data. The FIT files will adhere to the same standard, but the data and the frequency that it is recorded, may differ.
    Processing monitor files with the FITCSV tool is a bit of a pain, because with default settings, many very small files are written (minimum one file per 15 minutes during waking hours) so you have concatenate all those small files. Also the contents are difficult to process in a spreadsheet. (I found it easier to write some software in Java).
  • I use the tool as follows: java -jar FitCSVTool.jar -b FILE.FIT FILE.CSV
    If you don't have Java installed, you can download it from the Oracle Java download page.
    The heartrate is recorded in both activity files as well as monitor files (for a Fenix 3, Vivoactive should work the same).
    The moitor files are not easy to work with in a spreadsheet, there are many small files (at least one per 15 minutes during waking hours), and you have to be careful interpreting what totals are, running totals and single recordings, and what the recording interval was. I found it easier to write something in Java for this.
    The "FIT SDK Introductory Guide Rev 2.3.PDF" that's in the FIT SDK download contains more information on using FITCSV.
  • o wow, this sounds very complicated. Any other program I can use?
    Why does Garmin not let us download it as an csv file????
  • Which files do you want to view? Monitor files or activity files or both?
    Activity files can be downloaded from Connect as CSV (somewhat, splits only) and one of the programs that can save a FIT file as CSV is GoldenCheetah(runs on Linux, Windows and Mac). It is not only for cycling and triathlon activities, runs, swims, anything goes.
    Monitor files are another story, there is no third party software to process them, or convert them to an easy to use format. So if you want to do other analyses on your data than Connect offers, or don't want your data stored forever in Connect, there currently is no alternative except writing your own software for that.
  • i did download an activity file as csv. But there were no heartrates over time (like ever second or every 5 seconds). There were for 1 hour activity like only 5 or 10 data. like average heartrate and max heartrate.
    Did i do something wrong? Is there more accurate data I could look at when i have an activity?

Since I'm interessted in the heartrate graph for this one hour activity, I downloaded the .fit for the Monitor files.
    I also tried GoldenCheetah. But when i import the .fit file, there is actually no data I can look at. Maybe I did something wrong there too. or maybe it's as you said and the Monitor data stored in .fit is hard tô extract and do different Analysis with it.

Thank you for your help
  • i did download an activity file as csv. But there were no heartrates over time (like ever second or every 5 seconds). There were for 1 hour activity like only 5 or 10 data.

An Activity file exported as CSV from Connect has splits (laps) only, that's why you get so few data points. To get all the data in a CSV, first do "export as original" in Connect, then import that file (.FIT) in GoldenCheetah, then export from GoldenCheetah to CSV.

Monitor data stored in .fit is hard tô extract and do different Analysis with it.

Monitor data files also have the .FIT extension, but the content is different than Activity .FIT files. GoldenCheetah can't handle them, so it can't export them either.
  • Problem Solved: Extract all data to CSV from FIT file

For those people who have problems to extract the FIT data to other possible files such as CSV.
    My Garmin Forunner 620 using the Garmin Express software goes to a web in which is possible to extract csv. I guess is the same process to other models as well.
    The Problem is this file contain just RCmax and RC average.
    Using the GoldenCheetah software : http://www.goldencheetah.org/
    It was possible to see the that per second as I needed.
    Also it does not export to csv as I wanted but it was possible to copy all the data and paste it in a excel.
    Doing so I could analyze my Hert Freq or any other recorded that in excel or software.
    It is not as easy as just extract to csv but a fast and easy process as well.

I hope I helped.

Regards,

Alex