This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Using Connect App without Internet access

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, I find myself overseas often without having access to data or wifi on my phone.
I've noticed that the App basically goes blank on my phone when there is no internet and I can't even sync my device to the app so I am unable to see and compare what I've been doing.
Is there a way that I can use my app without Internet access? Including accessing my previous stats.
Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
  • Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but...

No.

See other threads in this forum re: same or similar questions.

The Garmin Connect Mobile (GCM) App needs internet access to synch with Garmin Connect (GC) Online -- and for reasons unknown to me, it *also* *must* have internet access in order to synch with the Garmin device. In essence, GCM as a stand-alone 'app' is really more of a glorified and specialized mobile browser pointed only at the GC site to display data in specific ways. Since Garmin's whole point with GCM seems to be allowing their Garmin devices to synch with GC Online, the smartphone app is just a conduit for this -- so if no internet connection, the device will not synch with the GCM app.

:(:(:(
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 8 years ago
    Oh... :(

Thanks!
  • Do we assume all apps can provide useful service without a connection to ‘the cloud’?

The Garmin Connect Mobile (GCM) App needs internet access to synch with Garmin Connect (GC) Online -- and for reasons unknown to me, it *also* *must* have internet access in order to synch with the Garmin device.
    Because the data transferred from the watch during sync *must* go to Garmin Connect, which is a service hosted ‘in the cloud’ and can only be reached via the Internet. The Garmin Connect Mobile app's role does not include maintaining a database of (previous) activity data, or acting as a temporary store when an Internet connection is not available; the watch's on-board memory itself is the temporary store of the activity data.

In essence, GCM as a stand-alone 'app' is really more of a glorified and specialized mobile browser pointed only at the GC site to display data in specific ways. Since Garmin's whole point with GCM seems to be allowing their Garmin devices to synch with GC Online, the smartphone app is just a conduit for this -- so if no internet connection, the device will not synch with the GCM app.

The Garmin Connect Mobile app – on any mobile device operating platform – is, as its name suggests, a client (on mobile devices) for the Garmin Connect service. It allows data to be transferred from the watch to Garmin Connect (e.g. workout activity data) and vice versa (e.g. user profile information, custom workouts). It also allows (most of the user's) data in Garmin Connect to be presented and modified on a mobile device, in ways you cannot do on the far more limited screen real estate and physical controls on a watch. What it does not do is act as a data store at any time, especially when a connection to the Garmin Connect service (i.e. Internet connection on the mobile device) is not available.

Essentially, the user can use a Garmin watch as a standalone device, or a watch with the Garmin Connect service ‘in the cloud’ using a computer (running Garmin Express and a web browser) or a mobile device (running Garmin Connect Mobile, with or without also using a web browser) as the latter's user interface. No Internet connection, no service – that's the basic principle.

I think some users' expectation that the watch can be used for more than what it provides as a stand-alone device (with the limited screen display and physical controls) without Internet service is simply misplaced, and goes again Garmin's design intentions.

(Note: Garmin Connect Online is the web client – i.e. to be operated inside a web browser, on a computer or a mobile device – for the Garmin Connect service.)
  • Dear Garmin, I, and I assume many others, use my Garmin device for activities far away from civilization and mobile connection. But you don't alow me to connect my watch to my Connect App. Please can you not penalize us for exploring and loving the outdoors? Surely the app can store data (latest activities as well as history) till one connects to the internet and only then need to upload to the cloud?

I am a huge Garmin fan, but this matter simply boggles my mind! 

• I agree! I bought a new Garmin watch before going on an expedition in Nepal. I wanted to have the data the watch normally collects to see how my body reacted and adapted to the altitude. Unfortunately, I was unable to get any of my stats without the internet. 

Certainly it must be possible to sync the watch to the phone until there is a network connection  and the possibility of syncing to the cloud. 

• Oh are "we" beating around the bush, much, are ere we?

Who gives a darn about what technical term a service bears or not, OBVIOUSLY it doesn't achieve something expected.

And, yes, surprise! We actually do expect that apps which work with the cloud, work offline too., Like many google's apps do. Like strava does. Like Suuto's apps do. Oh wait ... Is there a single app on my phone that is as useless as Garmin Connect when offline? Barely.

Any funnily enough, you mention the limited screen estate on a watch and therefore how the app allegedly allows more "data to be presented and modified"... what the heck, man?! That's exactly the problem, because exactly that actually isn't possible when offline! 

• I totaly agree with all the above 

It is a useless app without internet access...and I'm asking my self, why.

Garmin is able to have a working app, off line, and when internet is available, the app synchronise data for update.

Can't you, garmin? ...

I have start looking for another 'watch' because of this

• I have just received my device. I thave managed to use the mobile app offline... to find your watch. And configure things that you could configure in other ways. As well as see all the things that you could do if you would allow to give your data to Garmin.

I find it so sad that you have to pay a huge amount of money (fenix 6 here) and you cannot even use your data easily. Your data.

I was reassured by the Garmin Privacy team that I would be able to sync my device with the phone alone without being forced to send the data to the cloud to watch it. The staff seemed really professional so I hope that I'm using the app in the wrong way. I am waiting for a clarification and I will return my watch otherwise. 

• Totally in agreement here. I wanted a watch to record GPS tracks with the touch of the button and be able to view them on my PC. The Garmin Connect Cloud and these stupid Badges and Goals add zero benefit, it is just useless bloatware with a boatload of privacy issues.

Think I will return this thing too.

• I cannot believe that it cannot be used in offline mode. Every normal app can be used offline and get synchronized once when it's connected to the network. Very disappointed.