This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Forerunner 10 Deleted My Data

I just went for a run this morning, went to sync on my computer via Garmin Express as I always do. I don't think I did anything out of the ordinary this morning. It said it synced, went to Garmin Connect, new data was not showing. I tried syncing again. Still no new data.

I looked through the ACTIVITY and NEWFILES folders on the device, and there's no information there.

Did Garmin somehow delete my data? How can I find it or get this back?
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

I just had the same experience. 3 months of runs gone. What gives?

• 3 months of runs gone. What gives?

They are gone from Garmin Connect too? Or is it 3 months you did not sync?

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to trux

Hadn't synced for 3 months. When I connected using Garmin Express and went to sync, all my runs were gone. Mac version 6.19.3.0 on OS 10.14.6. No activity data. Even checked the file folders.

It did the same to my wife's Forerunner. Luckily for her, she had tried to use our old PC laptop and all the run data was stored in the program files folder on the computer. 

• In Garmin Connect Mobile, go to the Menu » Settings, scroll to the bottom, and tap Device Sync Audit

There should be the details of the failed sync, and perhaps you can see what happened. You may need to use the buttons « and » at the bottom, to get to the right date.

Most likely the watch memory was overfilled after 3 months without syncing, and hence was cleared during the sync. Why it failed saving the data on your Mac, I cannot tell, but perhaps you can find out some clues in the audit. As for the data recovery - theoretically it may still be possible to recover the data from the internal memory, assuming you did not record new activities that have overitten the deleted space. But I am not sure whether you can do it with common data recovery tools for memory sticks, etc. More probably you will need to contact the Garmin's support anyway.

EDIT: ah, I did not notice at first that you synced with Garmin Express, not Garmin Connect. In that case, I am not sure whether it stores some audit somewhere too. Nothing available through the menu, but perhaps it stores it somewhere on the drive. You better contact Garmin's support

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to trux

No problem. Thanks for the help. Luckily I'm not a competitive runner (like my wife) so it's more of an annoyance than anything else. I'll post if I find a solution.

• Well, it is certanly a big hassle (and would be terrible for a pro), but at least you know now that it is safer to sync regularly, just to have the backup. When you have no connection to the Internet during several months, I'd recommend saving the activity FIT files though an USB cable to another medium. A  pro photographer would also never let the work of several months just in the camera, and would make several backup copies daily.