This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Any updates on Bluetooth syncing?

Anyone managed to get their Edge (mine's a 1000) to sync via Bluetooth yet?

I've carried out all the suggested fixes to no avail.

Interestingly my 920XT syncs via Bluetooth perfectly...
  • Same here, me and my mates cannot sync with edge 810 via ios app. This lasts since the last two versions of the app. Edges with latest sw version. Unacceptable!
  • Does this link help?

... via ios app.

I had this problem too (but with the Epix).

My solution was found here:
    https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?317126-Known-Issues-Solutions-ver-2-13-iOS

The key was to uninstall the app from my iPhone, and then reinstall it. I hope that this helps you.

Now, a question for the forum: How long does it take to sync an activity? For me, it's about 2.5 minutes per hour of activity. So, if I go on a 10 hour activity, that means my bluetooth sync will take 25 minutes. Moreover, this is an activity with now Heart Rate Data, no Power Meter Data, and no Step Counting ("activity monitoring" (i.e. step counting) turned off). The FIT file is about 200 Kb.... so super tiny.

Initially, I mentioned this issue on the Epix forum, considering that it was an issue specific to the Epix. Now I'm wondering if it is a global issue on Garmin Connect Mobile. I'm also wondering if the slow sync is seen on both iOS and Android.
  • Thanks

I'd already done that plus a few other things. I finally managed to get it to sync by repeating those instructions, then deleting all activities of the device (5 of them) and then it sync'd.

As you've already noted though - it took an absolute age to sync a 10 mile bike ride over a 4G signal
  • Just downloaded a GCM update from the App Store. Went on a couple test rides this evening, trying to reproduce each environment I ride in. I did not have one issue... Granted these were very short rides (>1 mile). The real test will be during a longer ride with some more data to upload. It seemed to be much quicker on the upload as well. As soon as I grabbed my phone, it was just about finished with the upload process.

I'm on an iPhone 6 with a Jailbroken iOS 8.4 (2nd to latest iOS), pair with an EDGE 510 on the 4.2 firmware. Hopefully everyone else is successful.
  • Still slow for me...

I'm on an iPhone 6 with a Jailbroken iOS 8.4 (2nd to latest iOS), pair with an EDGE 510 on the 4.2 firmware. Hopefully everyone else is successful.

Good to hear positive news, but your activities probably were not representative of most (i.e. too short). This morning using iOS 8.4.1, I went to sync with my Garmin Epix using firmware 2.90 (GCM 2.13.3)... just syncing my sleep, mind you... and it took about 7 minutes. In order to make this happen, it seems that I need to keep the Garmin Connect Mobile screen "active" before the backlight times out. This is probably power-saving on Apple's part (they probably drop the connection to save battery). I find that if I touch the screen periodically to keep it alive, and watch that inexorably slow blue line crawl across the bottom of the screen, eventually I'll get the Green success bar.
  • Guys,
    It could help to remove activities from the activities folder on the garmin device.
    I used to have all activities from last year in this folder and the sync took forever. Now I periodicaly remove old already synced ativities and it fails less and is faster
  • Just an update to my original post. I've completed several rides since the App Store GCM update and all seems to work fine. Have you guys tried the usual things like master reset on the 510, deleted the app from your phone, forgetting it from Bluetooth both on phone and 510?

I'm interested to see what happens after the 510 memory gets loaded up with a couple rides. That seemed to be a lingering issue for me at least. This update seems to have fixed the Bluetooth issue with my phone though.
  • Good idea... but it didn't work...

Guys,
    It could help to remove activities from the activities folder on the garmin device.
    I used to have all activities from last year in this folder and the sync took forever. Now I periodicaly remove old already synced ativities and it fails less and is faster

Thanks for the suggestion, SVKASTER. I tried that last night (I KNOW This caused slow sync with ANT+/Garmin 310XT). Unfortunately, it did not speed things up. Short activities (less than an hour) sync in just a minute or so. Of course, short activities make small files. If you're doing a long activity with Heart Rate, Power, and Cadence data, you might get a 200 or 300 Kb file. That's still pretty tiny in today's terms, but to sync a file that is that size, it takes about 30 minutes still. I found that I can easily test this without doing a huge ride. I can just copy a FIT file from a longer ride (file size ~250kb) into the activities folder. Upon connecting via bluetooth, sync will start. I can watch the progress bar move so slowly across the screen (the only file in the activities folder would be the file I copied in; everything else has been removed).

Thank you for the update "no name." I'm curious if your rides were lengthy... maybe you know the file size? That would be helpful for comparison. If your files are >250kb, then your device is definitely behaving differently. I will take all of your suggestions about deleting and reinstalling the app (Again)... but am reluctant to do the master reset until I hear back from you that your rides are generating big files... otherwise, I can't use your experience as a basis for comparison. Thanks!!
  • Bonjour, since IOS 13 and even 13.1.2 I could not sync my Epix with my iPhone X. 

• Problem solved on my EPIX - iPhone X, as fulmar2 (thanks for the trick!:), I uninstalled GCM and reinstalled it from Appstore and it works as before.