This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

vivoactive unable to upload golf course

device find desired golfcourse but after upload nothing changes.. the course first ever uploaded is used.. :(
  • Not sure I understand your problem. You can select course from nearby courses downloaded into your phone.
  • Is there a limit of courses on the phone that can be accessed by VA? When I have more than 6 courses on the phone, it won´t find from course 7 and onwards. Also there is
    no logic in which order they appear on the app vs. on VA. When there is 6 courses there is no problem.
  • Can you download courses using Garmin Connect desktop software? I don't have a compatible smartphone and all the help guides just refer to using the mobile app, not the desktop software.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 8 years ago
    Hi I have had the same issue as Mcaraba, I have had email conversations with Garmin support and they deny there is an issue.

I have 7 golf courses I regularly play at, and downloaded them all via Garmin Connect, the first time I went to play only 5 of the 7 golf courses were visible on the watch, none of the 5 courses visible on the watch was where I was playing, which was very frustrating.

The next time I used it i went a club I had never played at, and downloaded the course to Garmin Connect in the car park, then synced the watch, and same again only five courses were visible on the watch, and none of them at the club I was at.

I realised at this point the five courses visible on the watch were the first five courses I downloaded. I put this theory to the test, and removed all except five courses from Garmin connect. Magic, the next time I played the course being one of the five in Garmin connect was on the watch.

My conclusion is that the watch only has capacity to show up to five courses at a time, despite how many courses you have downloaded to Garmin connect.

You can test this yourself, download as many courses as you want, make sure they are all fairly close to your current location and then select the Golf app, once GPS has been found, you will see only five courses available on the watch.

I have put this to Garmin support, and their responses have been pretty shocking so far, in general terms denying it is an issue, but clearly from their responses the support operative has never tested the watch. All they have to do is agree it is an issue and either fix it, if they can, or acknowledge it is an issue and provide the workaround information which I describe here.
  • exactly same very frustrating any joy yet or do you have to download only the course

Hi I have had the same issue as Mcaraba, I have had email conversations with Garmin support and they deny there is an issue.

I have 7 golf courses I regularly play at, and downloaded them all via Garmin Connect, the first time I went to play only 5 of the 7 golf courses were visible on the watch, none of the 5 courses visible on the watch was where I was playing, which was very frustrating.

The next time I used it i went a club I had never played at, and downloaded the course to Garmin Connect in the car park, then synced the watch, and same again only five courses were visible on the watch, and none of them at the club I was at.

I realised at this point the five courses visible on the watch were the first five courses I downloaded. I put this theory to the test, and removed all except five courses from Garmin connect. Magic, the next time I played the course being one of the five in Garmin connect was on the watch.

My conclusion is that the watch only has capacity to show up to five courses at a time, despite how many courses you have downloaded to Garmin connect.

You can test this yourself, download as many courses as you want, make sure they are all fairly close to your current location and then select the Golf app, once GPS has been found, you will see only five courses available on the watch.

I have put this to Garmin support, and their responses have been pretty shocking so far, in general terms denying it is an issue, but clearly from their responses the support operative has never tested the watch. All they have to do is agree it is an issue and either fix it, if they can, or acknowledge it is an issue and provide the workaround information which I describe here.

exactly same very frustrating any joy yet or do you have to download only the course
  • I have a more serious problem - Garmin Connect Mobile (IOS) will download my chosen golf courses, but I cannot get them to transfer into my Vivoactive. When I press the "golf" icon and message comes up "Transferring Data" but nothing happens - it just stays there forever until I give up. The other aspects of the connection with the iPhone 6 Plus seem to work OK. Any ideas?
  • Same problem for me unable to download a course that was not included in the 5 on the watch, got to be a problem.
  • So is it possible to remove the 5 courses from the watch and just download the course when you arrive?
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 8 years ago
    So is it possible to remove the 5 courses from the watch and just download the course when you arrive?

Yes, it is possible, providing when you get to the course you have a data connection.

I just received an email from Garmin support, it seems they are acknowledging that there is a limited number of courses that the watch can handle, see direct quote.

The device requires the Bluetooth connection because the hole data is streamed. The slim form factor and competitive pricing point of the watch means that it is unable to have a large amount of memory built in, which means that it cannot hold all of the course data at once. Also, the watch being a multiple-activity type device means that it needs memory for things like fitness activities.
  • I can confirm this. It´s very frustrating that Vivoacitve can handle only five golf courses. Pls. Garmin can you fix it in next software update. Thx