This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

"Cycling Distance" Not Written From GCM to iOS Health App

Conspicuously absent from the data fields that are available to write from Garmin Connect Mobile to the iOS Health app via HealthKit is "Cycling Distance" (available fields are "Active Calories", "Steps" and "Walking + Running Distance"). I suppose when apps such as Strava or TrainingPeaks update to be compatible with HealthKit they will be able to write "Cycling Distance". But this seems rather an odd omission on Garmin's part. If you're using a Garmin device such as an Edge device, then Garmin is the original source of the data and should be writing it directly to HealthKit, not via an intermediary such as Strava.
  • same bug observed and mentioned 1* through app store. hope this gets noticed, and assigned to a developer for fixing, should not be that difficult, since data exists, interface to apple health app exists, just that item needs to be added to the sync. 

yes, my health insurance similarly would give me a discount on garmin products, on accumulating measured cycling distance/steps - to see not even a comment from garmin for 7 years (really??) is not encouraging:(

• TBF, I am trialing a Wahoo unit and their app doesnt write cycling distance to Apple Health either. I also tried a 3rd party import with Run Gap (so Garmin in to Run Gap to Apple Health) and it shows up in AH under Workouts, with a map & miles listed in the description but go under Cycling Distance, nada. 4th attempt was Wahoo Element app to Health Fit to AH. That worked. But getting stuff from Wahoo to Healthfit is also not straightforward (Wahoo isnt an import option for Run Gap or Healthfit)

So.... it seems to me that is 3:4 apps that cannot write cycling miles to Apple Health. Is that a Garmin, Wahoo, Run Gap problem or is that an Apple problem? I am only seeing one common culprit here. 

• Two days ago I just checked if something changed on that front.

And indeed, with strava my cycling distance is now transfered to apple health!! I had to Update in the Apple health settings for strava addional the general field „Trainings“. 
    I really do not know if this was always there…

You could also check this for the wahoo App!

Anyway direct sync from garmin is still not working -.-

• ****updated to reflect RunGap and Wahoo do write cycling distance correctly****

Thanks. I think I'll try that next. Funnel all data to Strava, have Strava write to Apple Health.

Funny thing is looking at the data field settings in AH; Garmin doesnt have cycling distance as an option so I see where they get a lot of the blame. Run Gap and Wahoo Element do have the option and do successfully write to AH. So if Strava is more reliable in this regard, all good

• The Adidas-Running app (formerly known as Runtastic) also logs Cycling activities with its distance consistently and properly into Apple health. This proves that the interface into AH exists and works properly, if API usage was programmed correctly - which Garmin Connect obviously fails to do, until somebody fixes it. To bad Garmin software support not even comments on it (for now over 7 years? Not too promising).

• Yeah, I've wondered about that too. I have the permissions setup in Health so that Garmin can write most things directly, but Strava has to write the cycling distance.

Everyone should log a support case to get it included.

• I have logged my support case with Garmin. Everybody should do the same.

• My experience has been that in order for the cycling distance to be transfered to Apple health, the Strava app has to be opened to have the miles sync. I just open
    Strava and close it right away.