how can i watch my heart rate live on the Garmin Connect and using an HRM Pro strap

Hi - 

First time user of Garmin HRM - I have an HRM-Pro strap and downloaded the Garmin Connect app on my iPhone - I would like to see my HR live while am exercising. How can I see that? The heart rate display that shows a chart doesn't show my current (or, say, average of last X minutes) heart rate - and it's hard to read the chart when am exercising. What I would like is a simple clear display showing "125 BPM" and changing with time. Seems like the most basic requirement for a HR monitor - surprised haven't found it yet!

Thanks!

• You can open the GC Mobile app, and watch the big HR pane on the My Day screen. It shows the live HR and the number is pretty big, so you should not have any problems reading it. If you still cannot read it, zoom the screen - tap the screen with 3 fingers and adjust the zoom until you can read the HR easily.

You can also adjust the screen of you activity profile directly on the watch, adding a new data screen with a huge font, adding just a single field - the HR. That should be well readable too.

• Thanks . On my GC iPhone app, there is no number that appears in the HR pane of My Day screen and I cannot zoom in / out. The only way I could zoom in a bit was by tilting the screen to put it in landscape mode and then it allowed me to zoom. I don't have a smartwatch - is that a real must-have for using Garmin? The use case I am going for here is stationary bike and having the iPhone in front of me showing me a live HR readout. So I don't really need a watch but it would be a real bummer if this basic thing isn't possible with Garmin.

• I don't have a smartwatch - is that a real must-have for using Garmin?

It could be that for some of the functionality, including the live HR data transfer, you need a watch. However, you can use a number of 3rd party apps designed for Bluetooth HRM chest belts.

• Ah right thanks - any particular third party apps that are frequently used with Garmin? Or should I just search for anything that's compatible with "ANT+"? Sorry - am totally new to this and thought Garmin app would do it all - I guess Garmin is more of an OEM providing a platform API rather than worrying overmuch about the GUI. 

• You need something working with Bluetooth, not with ANT+, since phones usually do not have an ANT+ receiver. Search the forum for some tips, there were indeed some, in the past. I do not use any, so cannot advise.

• Just came across this thread.  Did you find any app to work as you wanted?   I am looking for the same thing.  

• If you install the Strava App on your phone and connect the HRM-pro to the app you can see your live heart rate by selecting 'Record' for an activity, for me it's a Ride. You do not have to start the activity to see your heart rate.

Garmin needs to make 'live heart rate' visible in the Garmin Connect App.

• HRM pro+ does not have live tracking in GC. 

• HRM pro+ does not have live tracking in GC. 

That's true for the standalone HRM. As long as it is connected to a Garmin device, and an activity is started, Garmin Connect does show the HR from the strap live.

And as for the standalone strap with no other Garmin device to connect to it, if you want to stay with Garmin's software, you can use for example the Tacx app (phone, PC, or Mac). Otherwise any other app supporting BT heart monitors will work too (for example Strava). 

• Exactly the same. I bought the HRM Pro+ to be able to see my heart rate when training, live on my phone. 

Can’t find a way to do this. Strava requires a monthly subscription which I do not wish to pay just to see my heart rate. 

Very disappointed that Garmin do not provide this basic functionality in their app with their top of the line HR monitor

Have found Heart Buddy app for iPhone which provides this for free. Great app - very simple,