This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Calories reported to iOS Apple Health by Garmin Connect are outrageously exaggerated

Garmin,

The problem: Apple Health and iOS app Livestrong MyPlate are reporting an outrageously high number of calories burned during an ordinary day of activities, usually 2-3 times the actual calorie burn displayed in Garmin Connect, and infrequently between 5 and 10 times the amount displayed in Garmin Connect.

In short: I use LiveStrong MyPlate to track my calorie intake against my activities. MyPlate enables me to visualize my intake against energy output from cycling and running. I believe LiveStrong MyPlate reads "Active Energy" data from Apple Health.

My theory on the cause of the problem: Garmin Connect is over reporting calories burned to Apple Health, or is reporting them in duplicate.

Supporting data from April 9, 2020:

Total active calories reported on-screen by Garmin Connect: 717
Total calories reported burned during one road cycling event: 414
Difference between calories reported by Garmin Connect, and road cycling event: 303 (expected, as this is likely due to steps recorded by the Garmin watch)
Please see attached images for supporting screenshots.

Data reported to Apple Health by Garmin Connect:

Apple Health Calorie Value Number of times appearing Total
1412 1 1412
1393 1 1393
31 8 248
414 8 3312
43 8 344
130 8 1040
77 8 616
Total Calories Reported >>> 8365

Devices used:
Apple iPhone Xs, running iOS 13.4
Garmin Edge 530, running Software Version 5.10
Garmin D2 Delta PX, running Software Version 5.40

Software used:
iOS app: Garmin Connect 4.29.1
iOS app: Livestrong MyPlate 5.25.2

• This is a known issue mate; affectIng steps, walking + running distance and calories. Garmin have been aware of it for months, and have claimed a number of times that it’s been resolved by a new release of Garmin Connect, which of course it never has been. 

I’ve been in discussions this week, again, with Garmin after being falsely told that 4.29 resolved it last week. 

• I saw the prior postings. How have you been communicating with Garmin about it?

With my post, my intent was to provide enough data that it’s easy for Garmin to trace and fix the cause. 

• Back and forth by email. 

Appreciate your intent, but I think there are many, many of us who have shared diagnostics reports, copies of ‘Garmin’ folders and whatever other data they have requested. Posting on here is pretty much a cry into the void, unless you have a ticket open with Garmin then they’re not listening...and even then, there is no evidence they actually pay attention to what people write in tickets. I have an escalated complaint outstanding actually following one particularly stupid interaction with a Product Support team member who, in the course of 6-7 emails, requested the same information on at least 3 occasions, despite everything they asked for having been provided in my original response, and on each subsequent request. 

I think, by now, it’s clear to us all that Garmin’s iOS team are simply incompetent. If this does get fixed then I will honestly suspect it’s been by accident.

• How can I submit a ticket in the same manner you have?