This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Apple Health displays double the calories and steps after physical activity.

Hello

after the latest update of Garmin Connect, Apple health displays the double of calories and steps after physical activity (e.g. running). 
The values are correct in Garmin Connect, but if I open Health and ask to visualize the source data, I see that Garmin Connect is sending a packet with twice the value. As it was counting the calories, steps, and distance from running on top of the running itself. 

Could you please check it?

Bruno

i use a Vivoactive 3, but I don’t think that the issue comes from the watch. 

• I may be wrong, but I remember Garmin saying they fixed similar bugs at least once a few months ago.

In software development is not that uncommon to introduce regressions.

• I spoke with a Garmin rep and they just said “it’s due to how apple calculates calories”.  So basically “we’re not going to listen or fix it”

• Don't be fobbed off by that. It's quite simply a lie. I have a suspicion that Garmin train / script their product support teams to immediately point the finger at Apple whenever any issue with the iOS app or Health sync is reported; presumably so that the customer accepts this and they can close the ticket. It's disgraceful behaviour from a market leader.

In your case, there is no "calculation" of calories by Apple Health, it's Connect sending the data through the Health API, but doing it incorrectly (Strava had the same issue in May 2018...they fixed it within a few days...).

I played their game for a while, going back and forth between Apple and Garmin and eventually Garmin acknowledged that the two issues (duplicate data being sent to Apple Health and the double count of distance within the packets of data being sent) are both theirs to fix. I quote the categoric statement I eventually obtained from "Gareth":

"This issue is to do with Garmin software and it is something we are working to resolve."

I would encourage you to pursue the ticket and don't let them tell you that it's not their problem.

• Yeah, so far I'm not buying Garmin pushing this off to Apple. Seems to be their default response - "it's someone else's fault".

I'm pushing them to give me solid answers and not just canned replies.

• Totally agree. Any other competitor (don's think at Strada, even much smaller ones such as indie developers) knows ho to use the APIs resulting in perfectly correct data and graph representation.

Whats happens is that every year at WWDC Apple pushes API updates to add features. Old usages get deprecated or remove. If you don't update your App as well you get weird behaviours.

Very good developers test the new code between June (announcements for developers) and September (release to the public). Good developers release upgrades shortly after September. Lazy developers release theirs 6 months later or so, and finally bad developers don't fix the code at all.

• Connect just reported I burned 4k ACTIVE calories in a day.  I am extremely fit apparently and workout all day

• The attached is a typical entry  from connect to Apple health for me currently. Check out my 6,800 active calorie day! I am amazed at myself that I can do 9 simultaneous 558 calorie workout at so early in the day. Clearly I am invincible!  Hey Garmin sort this out you are embarrassing yourselves again. Don’t blame apple even if it’s them. Work together!

• Trust me or not, it's 100% NOT Apple's fault. It's Garmin's.

• I don't think any of us are thinking it's Apple's fault.  It doesn't make sense.  No other application I have that adds calories to Apple Health has this issue - it's 100% only garmin that does.

I really think Garmin just doesn't care.  I'm 2 weeks now on waiting for a response with the last response being "it's due to how apple calculates calories".  This makes no sense.  Apple doesn't add the same calorie count 4 times in a row, giving me professional athlete level calorie burns (I'd be a lot thinner if this was the case).