This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What's up with Garmin Connect and Apple Health?

I refuse to believe that Garmin Connect still does not work as intended with Apple Health as it should.

Apple Health and HealthKit were released in 2014 and even being very patient one can only wonder about the lack of interest and competence from the developers at Garmin to get things working properly.

The forums are full of problems, just search for "apple health" and / or "HealthKit" - so in won't start another thread listing all bugs.

No support for Apple Health at all would have been better that the broken system that Garmin implemented in its Connect App

Who else is very disappointed / annoyed by Garmin's complete lack of interest, competence and communication concerning this matter?
  • Me too

Soooo dissapointed. Finally decided to jump ship.
  • When I got my first Garmin, I assumed that it might not work with Apple Health. I works sometimes and not other times. Sometimes Connect doesn't write anything but Strava will if I open the Strava app on my phone. Sometimes even that doesn't work.

I used to run with my Apple Watch, but I decided that I didn't enjoy the Apple Watch as a runner's watch so I switched to Garmin. I don't enjoy my Garmin's inability to write to Apple Health, but it doesn't bug me enough to switch back. In the end I don't really care what results show up in Apple Health, I care what results show up on my body. And if I that means I have Garmin stats on my Garmin watch and Apple Stats on my iPhone, then that's OK. it would be different (maybe) if my Apple health data synced up with my doctor's system. But since I'm the only one looking at it, I don't actually care. Even when I put my Apple Watch on I don't care if the rings get closed or not.
  • When I got my first Garmin, I assumed that it might not work with Apple Health. I works sometimes and not other times. Sometimes Connect doesn't write anything but Strava will if I open the Strava app on my phone. Sometimes even that doesn't work.

I used to run with my Apple Watch, but I decided that I didn't enjoy the Apple Watch as a runner's watch so I switched to Garmin. I don't enjoy my Garmin's inability to write to Apple Health, but it doesn't bug me enough to switch back. In the end I don't really care what results show up in Apple Health, I care what results show up on my body. And if I that means I have Garmin stats on my Garmin watch and Apple Stats on my iPhone, then that's OK. it would be different (maybe) if my Apple health data synced up with my doctor's system. But since I'm the only one looking at it, I don't actually care. Even when I put my Apple Watch on I don't care if the rings get closed or not.

I depend on Apple Health / HealthKit support, because I collect *EVERYTHING* in there. If Garmin can't get there software working with Apple Health / HealthKit then the fu..... should just not say that support it.
  • After all this time it's hard to believe Garmin will suddenly start supporting Apple Health. At best it's stretching the truth for Garmin to claim that it syncs with Apple Health. And you're the customer and the customer is always right. If enough people jump ship to TomTom or Polar or one of the others, then maybe Garmin will be motivated to support Apple Health.
  • On the hardware side, no competitor has something even remotely in the league of the Fenix 5 - so no, switching is not an option.

If Garmin can't / doesn't want to get its act together, lets see how Apple will handle Garmin Connect Mobile once they have proof that the app grossly violates Apple Store Review Guidelines 5.1.3 (ii):

Apps must not write false or inaccurate data into HealthKit or any other medical research or health management apps, and may not store personal health information in iCloud.

Garmin Connect Mobile could be removed from the App Store until this is fixed, or they have to drop "we support Apple Health / HealthKit" claim.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 7 years ago
    HRM won't share HR Data to Apple HealthKit

I know this is only one of many issues but...

In a recent conversation with Garmin Support I was told that only the optical HR sensor on some watches will share HR data. This means that any chest HRM data isn't shared. This feels to me like something that could be fixed. Am I the only one experiencing this? Maybe there is a quick fix I haven't discovered.
  • Just came here to investigate the health > connect problem i'm having.

I would like connect to read all of my historical, and future, weight readings. Everything appears to suggest it should work. It does not. Appears there's massive issues with the connect app regarding health. :(
  • ok.....after posting the above i looked at my phone and it was updating the app! Now my weight has been updated in garmmin from the data in health. *however* before last night i installed my fitness pal and linked it to garmin. So is the data going health > mfp > garmin OR health > garmin.

:confused:
  • It's Health > MFP > Garmin.

Stupid!