This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Health app not syncing correctly

Hi All,
I'm having an issue with the health app and my steps taken in Garmin connect. An example is the health showed 14k steps, in contrast to my Fenix 3 which displayed 18k steps. Is there a way to have the health app reflect the steps from the Garmin?
John
  • Connect for iOS can now read DOB, height, sex & weight from Apple Health (brilliant, because I currently go through MFP which is a day off due to sync errors).

Connect for iOS can now write body fat percentage, body mass index, flights climbed, heart rate, resting energy, sleep analysis, weight, workouts.

This is EXCELLENT for me. I'm VERY happy. :D

So it's way cool and I now see HR measurements showing up in apple health.

Unfortunately it seems as if step tracking is completely broken. Anyone else have the same experience? I sync and HR goes over, but step data remains unchanged. fwiw, I selected all options to sync over with the app.
  • It kind of works...

Suddenly I have data from GC in Health - apparently it took some time to write them. I now have HR, Sleep, Steps, Stair etc. synced to Health including historic data. Still missing Energy and Training... So far GC has not read anything from Health though. We are getting there :-)
  • What HR data does it write? I've just completed a run with my VA (original without HR) and had my HR strap connected so HR data was recorded on the run but no HR data shows on Apple health?

Do you need to have a watch that has an optical HR sensor t record HR data?

Sleep data has synced across, step data synced up to last night but nothing since which is strange.
  • Steps no longer syncing

Updated GC on 4/12, steps synchronized to Health a few times post update until 11:15pm. Today steps are not syncing but new data including heart rate seems to be. Killed Health and GC app, hard reset iPhone, no luck...
  • What devise are you using to get HR data showing? I'm guessing it needs on dog the newer ones with 24h HR through an optical sensor?
  • I'm using a Vivosmart HR which does have the 24hr optical monitoring.
  • So it's way cool and I now see HR measurements showing up in apple health.

Unfortunately it seems as if step tracking is completely broken. Anyone else have the same experience? I sync and HR goes over, but step data remains unchanged. fwiw, I selected all options to sync over with the app.

So I now have some steps and some heart rate data and all sleep data. Before this steps showed instantly, maybe there's a delay? It's hard to say what's going on.

Based on behavior it kind of appears that data goes from watch -> app -> garmin website -> app -> apple health. That seems kind of crappy, because it means though you can get data off your watch, if the website is down it's never going to update healthkit.

I would surmise they probably did this to get legacy information from before this version into healthkit

It's kind of perplexing, because since there's no explicit "sync at this time" you expect it to be an instant sync, but it seems as if it's an eventual sync.
  • So that's why that screen on my iPhone came up. Nice!! HR readings from my Vivosmart HR now showing up in the Health app ����
    Workouts shows No Data though.
  • Just upgraded GC to 3.5.0.16 on iPhone 6, apparently it's not reading data from Apple Health.

My settings in Apple Health -> Sources -> Connect are:

ALLOW "CONNECT" TO WRITE DATA: All categories except "Weight"
    ALLOW "CONNECT" TO READ DATA: "Weight", "Data of Birth", "Height", etc.,

I have another app which sends "Weight" data to Apple Health and it works flawlessly, but GC just can't read that info from Health. Also if I change DOB in Health, it's not reflected in GC either. So it seems to me like one-way communication, only from GC to Health.

Has anyone run into the same issue?

Yes, me. I came to the forums specifically to get suggestions or thoughts on when the data got read. I'm glad it's not just me.

Updated GC on 4/12, steps synchronized to Health a few times post update until 11:15pm. Today steps are not syncing but new data including heart rate seems to be. Killed Health and GC app, hard reset iPhone, no luck...

Hrmm, odd, same here. Steps worked perfectly yesterday (the day I updated the app), not getting any today. Getting all other metrics written to Apple Health.
  • I have a Vivosmart hr and have noticed some sycning issues w/Apple Health like many others here. First issue is the syncing as a whole; pre-3.5.0.16 Connect the VSHR would push the data to Apple Health at the end of the hour (i.e. at 1:15 it would push all data up to 1:00), now it appears to only push the data to Apple Health at the end of the day (i.e. mid-night local time) and it does it for the full day. Now, that would be a little annoying, since intra-day is nice to see in Apple Health, but there's a bigger issue and that's Connect not pushing the 'Active Energy' aka 'Active Calories' or 'Walking + Running Distance' aka 'Distance' into Apple Health full stop. One thing that is nice (aside from the added HR into Apple Health and Sleep) is that Connect is at least breaking down the Steps into 15 min blocks vs just hourly like before. However, since it only pushes it into Apple Health at the end of the day that aspect is pretty well useless until it syncs intra-day like it used to.