Lift distance counted into ski / snowboard gear mileage

Hi Garmin,

since the catastrophic 15.74 SW release for Fenix / Epix watches almost a year ago (which rendered the skiing activity pretty much unusable), the lift distance is still counted to the mileage of any gear you add to the skiing / snowboarding activity. Even though most of the issues brought about by the infamous upgrade seem fixed (apparently multiple fixes in watch SW, mobile app / server side), this one particular ridiculous none-sense is still present. The issue seems to be on the server side / in the mobile app. I have reported this already via multiple channels to no avail.

Dear Garmin, are you ever going to fix this insanity?

Thanks

• Hmm, that's weird.  I noticed this when I went from a Fenix (7) back to a FR955 (really 945 -> 7 -> 955, just decided I much prefer the lighter watch overall), the 955 had some issues with this initially, but it was never an issue on the Fenix 7. 

Are you sure you're running the lift-served version activity, and have it set to detect when you're on the lift (there's a setting for this in the activity)?

There's also a setting for pausing below a speed, which I go back-forth on, since it tends to pause a LOT if you're inside the lodge or something, particularly on the 955, the F7 did a much better of handling this without constant start-stop when inside, perhaps better GPS antennas or similar.

• As I said, it seems to be an issue of the Connect app or on the server side. The activities now have correct distance (since a specific watch version and probably also after some Connect app updates) but mileage added is wrong.

To illustrate (numbers made up), I have a skiing activity showing correct distance 35 Km (without lift distance). If I add some gear (either in the Connect mobile app or in the web app), it adds 65 km to the gear mileage (including lift distance). Seems nothing related to the watch (Fenix 7 Pro) or the activity app itself.

• Have you tried contacting Garmin support, to make them aware of the fact that when you add gear it adds in the lifts, or similar?

The snowsports really aren't well designed anyway, in terms of adding "gear", and honestly (as an ex ski-racer of some years, for reference) I don't know what it matters, much.  Are you trying to compare sets of Super-G skis/laps, different aero-helmets, or something like that? 

If not, I'd just add the gear in the "Notes" section for now (and again, contact Garmin support, they've definitely fixed things I've reported in the past), and edit them back in when this gets resolved.

• Kind of tiring repeating what is in my original post again and again... but yes, "I have reported this already via multiple channels to no avail."

As for my use case, just want to know how many days and mileage I have on my pairs of skis and ski boots, nothing crazy. It messes your data if the mileage suddenly starts to include the lift distance (which is none-sense on its own account).

• "I have reported this already via multiple channels to no avail."

In that case, I am afraid we cannot help you more, except of recommending you to pause the activity when taking the lift, and restarting it before the descent. You have the choice to wait (possibly a few years) till Garmin fixes it, or making some effort and getting the right data yourself now. Or just divide the total distance by 2 (or by another suitable average ratio) to get the approximative estimate.

BTW, if you did not do it yet, I also recommend suggesting the modification to Garmin at Share Ideas | Garmin - that's a another way to get the message to the developers. Or even better, sign up for the Beta Program, wait for the next beta version release, and then post the request on the Beta Program Forum, where it may reach the developers easier than through the Czech national support.

• Did you ask them to repro it while you were on the phone with the CS agent?

This is when I saw the problem with the auto-start-stop (not sticking, between activities) get fixed, on my 955, I waited for them to repro, on the phone. Once that was complete they sent me an email confirmation when the fix was integrated (about a month later).

The issue I was seeing was pretty widespread, I just don't think anyone had ever asked them to repro (as a (mostly) former s/w engineering professional I'm so happy when a repro is reasonable, so I stuck with this when communicating).  When the CS agent did they almost sounded surprised (despite it being a broadly reported thing in the forums), which was odd, IMO, but whatever, it got fixed.

It sounds like the repro is simple-simple in this case, just ask them to take a snowsports activity and add in the gear, in which case it should (incorrectly) add the lift ride distances in?