This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Intensity minutes discrepancy

Using Edge 1030 Plus and Epix Gen 2

On May 20, I cycled 70 miles with 2940 feet total ascent. 

336 total Intensity Minutes

On May 27, I cycled 80 miles with 3671 feet total ascent

59 total Intensity Minutes

Both rides about the same level of effort and same average speed. About the same ambient temperature.

These Intensity Minutes discrepancies keep occurring. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a glitch in the software?

Top Replies

All Replies

• Without knowing how much time was spent in each HR zone for each activity it's impossible to answer your question.

• 5/20 ride, 336 IM

Zone 5 8:04

Zone 4 2:26:16

Zone 3 2:05:53

Zone 2 43:32

Zone 1 1:45

5/27 ride, 59 IM

Zone 5, 14:38

Zone 4, 2:17:56

Zone 3, 2:13:21

Zone 2, 52:51

Zone 1, 8:26

• Am I doing something wrong? Is there a glitch in the software?

No glitch, but Edge 1030 does not support the feature of Intensity Minutes, so you have to always wear the Epix in order to get the IMs logged. Additionally, by default, the IMs do not depend on the HR spent in individual zones, but rather on the ratio HR / 7days avg. Resting HR. And the Resting HR can change, hence the IMs get more or less difficult to get, depending on the way you wear the watch during rest and during sleep.

And lastly, even if you wear the watch during the rides, unless you connect it to the HRM chest strap and start an activity on it too, it uses the internal optical HR, with much lower sampling rate, and can have very different HR to base the IM calculation on.

• Thanks very much for the detailed explanation. It's exactly what I needed