This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Intensity minutes

1. How are the intensity minutes determined? I went for a walk yesterday and earned 87 intensity minutes. Same walk today and earned 53. Can't figure out the difference.
  • The heart rate and time is used. If you get your HR high enough you will get double minutes. 

• See the details also here: How Are Intensity Minutes Earned? | Garmin Customer Support

Please note that the Resting HR is a very important factor in it. So if your Resting HR changes, the thresholds for IMs and Vigorous IMs will change too.

• Hi I will reply to this thread while its fresh if you dont mind with a question also sorry if I should have created my own.

I am getting intensity minutes for walks, mostly moderate but sometimes a few vigorous the walks are mostly zone 1 and 2 sometimes creeping into 3 for a couple of minutes.

I feel I shouldn't earn any vigorous and dont feel I should be earning 50 minutes of moderate on a 1 hr walk.

I've changed my intensity minutes from garmin auto to user setting of zone 3 moderate and zone 4 vigorous but on a walk today again mostly zone 1 and 2 and 2 minutes in zone 3,  I have 50 minutes moderate and 5 minutes vigorous.

Zone 3 should be moderate now so I should have 2 minutes moderate and no vigorous for the walk.

It seems like it should work like that but isnt. Somebody with more knowledge might be able to explain  why my heart rate went nowhere near the zone 4 I allocated as vigorous but I still get vigorous minutes.

Thanks for any info

• I saw couple of watch models, where the setting to use HR Zones for Intensity Minutes is available in the User Profile, but actually not supported, hence having no impact on the way the IMs are attributed (still using the Resting HR). Namely, I saw couple of similar reports on Instinct forums, not sure about other models. If it is your case, contact the Support, and have them investigating it.

• Right thankyou. I have instinct 2. And yes it seems like the are recording just like they were before I changed the setting. So maybe not supported. I will look into it further and contact support if I dont find out myself. 

Thankyou for your help.

• So maybe not supported

According to the specs and to the article Can I Earn Intensity Minutes Based on My Heart Rate Zones? | Garmin Customer Support, the HRZ settings for IM are not supported at the 1st gen Instinct standard, but should be supported by Instinct 1st gen Solar, and at all Instinct 2 models. However, as I wrote there are several reports here on the forum, claiming the setting has no impact even on Instinct 2, so I really think it is a bug in the firmware, and should be reported to the Support. Garmin basically acts only when there are numerous users reporting a problem, so it is important to give them the feedback.

• Yes thankyou I looked and thought instinct 2 should support this, I will get in touch with support and get them to look into this.

Again thankyou for your help, it is much appreciated.