This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Setting up running power targets

An increasingly popular choice for intensity in workouts is running power using Strava footpod, the best tool for the task. Indeed, this is why I purchased my current Garmin watch, as it was possible to use it with my Stryd footpod for this purpose.

Most runners define the target intensity for intervals as a percentage of critical power, similarly to cyclists. Garmin has all the relevant functionality for cycling power, so that a workout can be based on percentages of threshold power and automatically changes when the user enters a new threshold power. Unfortunately for running, this functionality seems to be missing.

At present it is necessary for all users to manually update every maximum and minimum power for every interval in every workout when their running critical power changes. You can see this is not ideal, by comparison with alternative watches that do this automatically!

All we need is an option to enter the range for an interval as a percentage of critical power, and for the Garmin system to ensure that the power is calculated from the latest running critical power every time a workout is executed. There are different ways this could be achieved and I have no doubt your developers could find one that was practical and made everyone happy.

Really hoping I will be able to stick with Garmin and get this functionality!