This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

App hangs when loading course list [solved]

When selecting the 'Courses' tab from either the sidebar or bottom bar (if pinned), the App hangs whilst generating the list of My Courses: the running man freezes. Sometimes, after a few seconds an Android notification pops up telling me 'Garmin Connect is not responding'. If I select wait from this notification, or if this notification never shows, the App eventually unfreezes and the course list is loaded as expected. This might take 10-20 seconds in all during which the App is unresponsive. 

I wonder if this is due to the large number (>1000) of courses I have on my connect.garmin, and if others have experienced this issue. 

App Version 4.59

Adroid Version 13

• I wonder if this is due to the large number (>1000) of courses I have on my connect.garmin,

I'd tell that almost certainly yes.

and if others have experienced this issue. 

Hopefully someone peeks in, but frankly told I am afraid there won't be many users having such a huge list of courses.

May I ask you why do you need to have such a huge list of courses stored in the account? Personally I just keep courses that I plan to do on my next trip, and also delete those that I already did, and do not plan repeating.

• Thanks for the reply trux. I travel by bicycle a lot, and tend to make a new course for every ride, so I can navigate. I rarely delete courses after use because the web interface is so slow and clunky - as far as I'm aware you can't select multiple courses for deletion but have to individually click and confirm deletion for each course? It may be easier for me to make a new account.

• I'd suggest using the filter options (by distance, location, or by total ascent) for reducing the number of courses you see at a time, and then using the delete function on the reduced list - it is pretty fast if the list does not contain thousands of items. Then repeat it with other filter settings until you reduce the total number of courses to a better manageable size. Keep the list trimmed, deleting courses you won't take again.

• I don't know if you've discovered the quickest way to delete. Long press the course in the list and click Delete. 

• Thank you both for the helpful replies. I estimated it would still take me several hours to manually go through all my courses, so I decided to just create a new account. This has resolved the issue. In fact, the entire App runs far faster!

Marking as solved with 'solution': Too many courses causes App performance to deteriorate, delete courses or start a new account with no courses.