This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Does Garmin Connect work with Android 12? Sync/Pair failure FR945

I have been using my Forerunner 945 successfully since the summer. My Pixel 3XL was recently upgraded to Android 12 and soon after I have suffered sync issues, finally culminating in the inability to re-pair my forerunner 945 with my phone.

I have followed lots of articles online both from Garmin and Community members.

I have tried:

• Restarting both phone and the watch
  • Uninstalling connect on my phone
  • Removing the Forerunner 945 from my account and trying to repair
  • Manually syncing using Garmin Express on PC and Mac
  • Syncing over WiFi (seems to work)
  • Remove old FIT activity files

I am stuck where the connect app will prompt for the 6 digit code, which I supply, and immediately I am presented with a failed sync. I accept the retry and after 2-3 mins it gives up. There on in I can't get the code prompt to reappear unless I restart my phone.

Has anyone else experienced this/ideas to fix? I am going to get in contact with support, a totally unacceptable experience from Garmin.

• Remove the watch from the bluetooth settings and then pair again from the Connect app. 

• Hey Andy, this was the first step I tried and was not successful.

• Update, Garmin customer support have accepted this is a problem that requires further investigation. It does seem to be Android only, replayed the same steps on iOS and encountered no errors.

• While my Forerunner 245 "survived" upgrade to (not so good) Android 12 on my Pixel 3a XL and was working okay for a week or so (syncing & everything) an hour ago the watch unpaired all by itself and now I'm stuck in an endless loop od entering PIN number, "pairing failure" on phone and watch + resetting the phone to gain back Bluetooth watch visibility.

It's clearly an Android 12 problem – after the upgrade to version 12 the pairing does not work from both the Connect app and Bluetooth menu. While waiting for the update from Garmin to claim back watch's usability be warned NOT TO UPDATE TO ANDROID 12 unless this issue is fixed. (And in my personal opinion Android 12 is not worth it – they broke a lot of thing in the UI.)

And yes, the firmware and Garmin desktop app are up to date. I've installed Connect app on my 2nd phone running Android 10 and it paired right away.

• I have a similar issue with my new Pixel 6 phone and my Fenix 5.  Doesn't stay connected consistently--watch is connected and disconnects off and on.  This will be a continued issue with all Android 12 devices unless Garmin addresses.

• Update, Garmin has made little progress. They are asking me to remove/re-sync over and over. Unacceptable, Android 12 SDKs have been out for months alongside betas. Garmin should have been all over this months ago. Very disappointing experience.

• Yeah, I event sent ADB logcat to support – and now they're asking me to record a video of a failed pairing... Ridiculous, I've already sent them pairing photo (entering PIN) and the result photo. How can a video showing the process help?...

• Frustrating, patiently waiting for a fix...

• After a few days, what happens is that it won't connect first thing in the morning, but an hour later or so it stays connected fine. Interesting that as soon as I hop into my vehicle and the phone connects to the Bluetooth in the car it seems to coincide with this fix. I'm sure I'm talking out of my ass but I've noticed that.

• I had this exact problem! ive factory reset and removed device fifty million times!!!!