This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GPS permanently being used

On both my Google Pixel 3a and my wife's 4a, we have noticed that the Garmin Connect app keeps looking for our location. The GPS icon appears in the status bar and doesn't disappear, unless you force close GC. But as soon as you start GC again, it's the same thing - GPS symbol reappears and stays there.

I haven't monitored battery usage (yet), but presume this will be causing it to drain quicker.

Anyone else experiencing this problem with the app?

• Still having the same issue.

GC keeps a persistent GPS icon in the status bar of my phone. Whenever I go to the most recent location requests, GC is always at the top of the list and it only stops looking for my location when I force close the app.

If I change location permission to only when using GC (in the foreground), the weather widget doesn't update on my watch.

Am I really the only one experiencing this issue? I contacted Garmin customer service in the UK, who don't believe me and I gave up trying to explain to them after several attempts.

• Do you have weather on the watchface?

• I'm using a standard Garmin watchface on my Fenix 6. All it has on it are:

Date
    Time
    Battery life
    Steps

• I did some tests with the location permissions and the weather widget. If I turn off location permission for Connect the weather widget will not get any data. If it is turned on it gets data, but I never see the location icon in the status bar. The location icon is displayed for apps like Google Maps with obvious use of the location. The location icon is handled by the operating system so it will turn on and off automatically depending on the location requests. 

Maybe it is something with the Pixel phones: https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/nxnuyi/location_icon_now_always_on/ 

Weather is not updated continuously. It can be triggered by a restart of the watch.