This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

family account

My son has purchased a Garmin Forerunner 35 and i would like to set up a Connect account for him but he is only 12 years old, what is the best way to proceed?   

• As far as I can tell, there is currently no legitimate way to setup someone under the age of 13 with a Garmin account. This is due to the U.S. Federal law Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, since Garmin is U.S. - based. However, Garmin might be taking steps to allow this under parent supervision. It was at least brought to their attention in this thread - How can I track kids' weight on Index S2 Smart Scale . See response from 

• Hey there! Just as has mentioned there is not a way to set up an account for under the age of 13 and this is due to the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. 

• So disappointing, especially when owning an Index S2 scale. Super smart device, but the  family members under 13 cannot use it!! Please take action Garmin! 

• Please take action Garmin! 

You mean they should violate the law? I am afraid if you want to go against the laws, you'll have to take the responsibility yourself, and create an illegal account for your kid, using a fake birthdate, on your own risk.

• They don't violate the law if they just make a simple family feature where I can add them to my account. It's not rocket science... 

• I think there would still be legal problems with that. Your 12 year old's data would still be collected by Garmin.

"in short,[19] First, 13 years is the age set by Congress in the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), which prohibits Web sites from collecting information on children younger than 13 years without parental permission. Second, the official terms of service for many popular sites now mirror the COPPA regulations and state that 13 years is the minimum age to sign up and have a profile."

Probably Garmin, or any other company, does not want the hassle of having to deal with parental permissions for under 13, and all the legal issues that could come up if your account was hacked (Garmin has had hacking problems in the past).

So you will have to wait until they turn 13, and even then Garmin may impose restrictions you don't like,

• It just seems strange that my 8 year old son can have an Xbox/Microsoft and Youtube account but not a Garmin Connect account?

I am pretty sure that Garmin can just copy the others mentioned.