This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Import cronometer calories in Garmin connect

How is it possible that this is a thing people have been asking for for years and yet I can't even find a response from Garmin at least explaining why they don't bother doing it.

Cronometer staff on the other hand is saying that they would like to cooperate with Garmin that way.

I mean it's Garmin's choice if they want to have an exclusive contract with mfp but as a paying customer I'd like to know if that is going to change in the future as this will severely impact my future buying decisions.

• Cronometer staff on the other hand is saying that they would like to cooperate with Garmin that way.

In that case they just need to acquire the access to the API, and pay the license fees, just like MFP does. But as far as I understood, they are not willing to pay for the API usage.

• This does not seem to be case whatsoever.

We have looked into exporting calories from Cronometer to Garmin, unfortunately they are not interested in working with us at this time. It would be great if our users could contact Garmin and let them know this is something you want. Maybe we can convince them together!

forums.cronometer.com/.../linking-to-garmin-connect-app

• Yes, I know that post. But Karen @ Cronometer may not have revealed the full information. Garmin offers several APIs. Some of them are free to access, others are limited to registered businesses though still free, others need a registered business and licnese fees, and for some of the API accesses you need to become a Garmin Business Partner. So yes, if you just send a plain demand requiring the access to one of the less accesible APIs, without meeting the conditions, and without submitting the required documents, Garmin indeed won't show any interest. 

There is also the possibility that Garmin is bound with an exclusive contract with MFP, and Cronometer would have to meet the same or harder conditions than MFP to make them break the contract, but that's just a speculation.

• Thats exactly why I'd still like an answer from a Garmin official to confirm or refute the statements made in the original post ;)

• Thats exactly why I'd still like an answer from a Garmin official

You'll have to call them. Garmin officials post here on the user forum extremely rarely, and when it happens, then it is more likely to happen at a support person or a product manager for a specific device, in the forum dedicated to the device model.

• If they just imported from Apple health, they'd get whatever calorie data you add from your preferred app.

Using Headsuphealth to correlate nutrition and exercise to labs. Paid subscription but very helpful. I just pay for a month and then cancel. Do it again a few months later.

• It's not just about API access and license fees. The Garmin Connect app is currently built so that the ONLY method to enter calories consumed is through MFP. This is what surprised me when I decided to ditch MFP due to the poor quality database, assuming I could use another non-integrated calorie app and just manually enter calories consumed into Connect. Nope, not possible. Calories consumed must be tracked in MFP if you want that data in Connect.

So for now I am using Cronometer and just making a single daily entry into MFP to reflect total calories consumed, which then gets synced to Connect. And total calories is all that gets synced to Connect anyway, even when I was tracking everything in MFP.

I may just stop tracking calories at all in Connect as Cronometer has weight tracking, and my calories burned and other data gets synced from Connect to Cronometer. It will save the hassle of dealing with a third undesired app.

• I began having Garmin Connect push my activity and sleep data to Cronometer, and just use Cronometer now. Stopped using Garmin Connect altogether. I wear the watch, track workouts on the watch, enter calories and hydration in Cronometer, and I can see my Garmin data (at least the data I want to see) in Cronometer. 

• +1. This is a real shame. I used MFP for 10+ years, sometimes not missing a day for years at a time. It is just not as good as cronometer, especially for accuracy. The interface and experience has also gone downhill ...