This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Steps from Ransomware period

I guess my steps from July 23 and 24 will never be recovered and recorded in Connect? Were they lost to the ransomware attack?

• If the data is on your device, it should eventually be recovered. Suggest following this support link from Garmin 

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=RCXLjXaoJd9cfAtNEIVzT9

• Some users (including me) report that July 23 steps got lost when the outage started. Luckily, I made a backup copy of the watch storage when the outage started, and with some hacking I was able to recover the July 23 steps, but otherwise I see no way of recovering them.

• Thanks for the update. I did not experience any lost steps, so assumed most were good to go by now.

• How did you do a backup and how does it upload to garmin connect? I have screen shots and it is still on my watch somewhere. For some reason, after an update and repeated connections, still nothing has updated for those three days. 

• As soon as I realized that there were some serious issues with Garmin Connect, and a longer outage might take place, I connected the watch to a computer and made a copy of the entire drive content. When Garmin Connect came back to life, I noticed that July 23 steps (and other daily data for that day) are missing. So I had a look at the backup I made earlier, and I found daily activity monitoring files for July 23 in the Garmin\Monitor folder. I copied them back to the watch (just the files dated July 23), and after a sync the step data for July 23 appeared in Garmin Connect.

• As soon as I realized that there were some serious issues with Garmin Connect, and a longer outage might take place, I connected the watch to a computer and made a copy of the entire drive content.

Yes, I did the same. Addtitionally I also freed up space by deleting unneeded files, so that there is enough room for new data until the outage ends. Fortunately, once Garmin Connect came back, everythng synced automatically, and I did not need to restore anything manually, though I was ready to do it, if it happened.

• This did not work for me.  Dang, I had 59 days of hitting my goal.  Can Garmin support manually add steps for me for the missing days?  At least give me my goal minimum.

• Can Garmin support manually add steps for me for the missing days?

Try asking them.

• me neither I only have files 3 files Garmin\Monitor folder and they were all created today which makes me think Garmin updates these files daily so if the data didn't get to Garmin connect its lost.

• I just took a look in the Garmin\Monitor folder and saw 3 files and they were all created today so I am not sure this will help me.  Did you have multiple files in that folder, when you looked.

From what I've just seen I'd say the daily summary files are updated daily so if the info is lost in garmin connect and you didn't keep the files for both days 23 & 24 then your daily summary data has been lost.  I have raised a case via email to Garmin to ask them restore my steps.  When I get a response I'll post what they say.