This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Retrieving Activity discarded or deleted on Vivoactive 4

My watched brushed against my leg and deleted or discarded a portion of my run today! I have tried to get it back using the activity folder once plugging my watch into my computer and the FIT file is not there. Additionally the activity is not showing up on my watch at all or Garmin Connect once synced. I am just wondering if there is a way to retrieve the file?

• Former Member
    +1 Former Member over 3 years ago

hi,

you could use a file recovery program when your device is compatible for such a recovery

what you had to do

• turn the watch off
    • only turn it back on to perform the file recovery scan

just maybe and with a lot of luck

stop all activity on your watch by turning it off until you start a file recovery scan

with the use of a file recovery program and some luck one could find the rest of the fit file

for PC

for Mac

happy & safe sporting

• I have tried two recovery programs and it isnt picking up my Garmin

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to Former Member
    you could use a file recovery program when your device is compatible for such a recovery

than the answer is, your device is not because of MTP

can you set the watch in mass storage mode

try photorec & testdisk

happy & safe sporting

• Can confirm the solution doesn't work - for VA4 at least. Apparently anything with music functions won't allow the watch to be put into Mass Storage and the only option is MTP. MTP devices doesn't show up on file recovery programs. Also MTP-> Drive mapper software don't work either.

• So you had to give up and could not recover the file? I also lost a run today due to the stupid touchscreen registering "touches" from my running shirt. I find it hard to believe that there seems no way to recover it. Not very well thought through by Garmin developers.

• It's an unbelievably stupid thing from Garmin. Instead of "Save" or "Discard" activity, they could have a "Save" and "Maybe later" option, with the later being a section/folder where these activities could be retrieved if desired. Simply a bin folder or something. Yesterday I went for a big 160Km bike ride. Half way through I stopped to refill and put my Edge 1040 in my back pocket. The screen probably rubbed against my body and discarded the whole portion until then. Of course I continued to record as a new activity from that point. When I get home, I spent hours looking for a solution. Three different recovery file softwares, including TestDisk. Nothing. The fit file is nowhere to be found. Probably overwritten. A quick search and you find quite a few people that had a similar situation. Unbelievable, Garmin.

• Brushed my watch against my arm amd I lost a 2 hour cycle on my garmin vivoactive 4. Really annoyed there is no rescue option in  built or  trash folder. The only "solution" seems to be hours of frustration without a probable result. NOT WELL THOUGHT OUT GARMIN