This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Transfer failed - wifi - not updating

Hi, I've had issues where my vivoactive 4 isn't updating. The  GPS went bad and I found out the certificate hadn't updated... I plugged it into the laptop and that fixed it but when thinking about it I've not had the update message in ages..

I've noticed the WiFi isn't connecting. I've set up both my WiFi conditions and the watch sees them but if I manually try and update using WiFi it searches for WiFi, the transfer in progress then transfer failed. 

Removing and re adding the WiFi connection didn't help. Any ideas?

• Does Vivoactive 4 really have a WiFi capability? I do not see it listed on the specification list at https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/643382#specs. Or do you speak about the WiFi of your phone? If you cannot connect to a WiFi router with the phone at your home, then you better fix it first, though a mobile data connection is fine too, unless the phone settings prohibit the use of mobile data to the Garmin Connect Mobile app.

Or did you rather mean Bluetooth? If so, then check out the troubleshooting guide for BT connectivity problems.

• Daily Smart Features

CONNECTIVITY

Bluetooth®, ANT+®, Wi-Fi

• Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes it does have WiFi. 

I'm not sure if the WiFi issue and the updates are separate issues but until a few weeks back the watch was telling me it had updates to install and most were GPS related... 

I'm connected to the app most days and definitely on run days as it's updating my training plan fine.

• Yes, you are right, mea culpa, I've overseen it (searched for the string wifi, instead of wi-fi). Still, I am not sure whether syncing is done over Wi-Fi. Frankly told, I am not familiar with that device, but have the feeling the WiFi is used for such things like music transfer, etc, but the syncing may still need the BT connection. You better ask your question on the forum of Vivoactive 4, there is a better chance you get an answer from someone with the experience with your device model.

• I'm not sure if the WiFi issue and the updates are separate issues but until a few weeks back the watch was telling me it had updates to install and most were GPS related... 

OK, so if only the updates over the WiFi are the issue, and you tell you noticed the WiFi wasn't connecting, you'll need to fix that first. Check out your WiFi router and look whether the watch is visible among connected devices. You can also turn your phone into a WiFi hotspot, and connect your watch to it, instead of the router. Or try with a neighbours/friends, or some public WiFi hotspot.

• Good call on the hotspot! Tried it and same as home WiFi. Connects fine, screen does to transfer data, transfer failed Disappointed

Watch shows in the device list as soon as it connects

• Well, try updating the watch through the USB cable and Garmin Express instead. Perhaps the update will fix this issue too. Also, remember to reboot the watch after the update, and/or making a soft-reset. Often, after an update, the devices may behave erraticaly, when you do not reboot them.

• I've done both, the usb cable updated the GPS file and fixed that issue for now. Reboot did nothing

• In that case, contact the local support of Garmin, or try posting the issue on the Vivoactive 4 forum - the topic is not really related to GC Mobile Android (that's the forum you are posting to recently). On the forum dedicated to your device you have a better chance someone who already experienced the same problem, can give you an advice. Here, on the forum of GCM Android, only a small fraction of people have an experience with your model.