This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Green dot on app tile?

So, thanks to this forum, I think I found the answer to something that has been bugging me...Bee

My Android app green dot (on the Connect app tile, not the one IN the app next to the device), even though I could find no notification in the app. Didn't necessarily have a new activity either...

But, if I'm reading the info here correctly, the green dot on the app tile, means the same thing it does in the app... Connected!

Is that correct? 

1. Well if it is, I don't like it. It's inconsistent with green dot use. Now if was another color, I'd be okay with that. But green dot, to me, means a new/unread message.

Thank you for helping me understand this.

Eric

Top Replies

All Replies

• Well that's not it. Had the brilliant insight to turn off Bluetooth on the phone. Green Dot on app still there. Green Dot IN app turned red.

So I'm still confused as the meaning of the green dot.

• That is probably something from your OS, or the launcher. I have no green dots anywehere on Android icons at all. I have numbers in red dots, showing me the number of messages. At GC it is for example, when there is a new activity, or another event.

• , do you have notification dots turned on in the phone settings?

• , do you have notification dots turned on in the phone settings?

No such option on my Android. I have the option "App icon badges" enabled instead of it. As I wrote, it shows a red dot with the number of notifications of given application. At GC Mobile it shows up for example when there is a new activity recorded, when I received a new badge, or when there is any other system notification from the app, which is exactly the expected behaviour fully conform with Android policies. It has nothing to do with the watch being connected to GC or not.

• Badges? I don't have no stinkin' badges (ref to The Treasure of the Sierra Madre / 

https://vimeo.com/279098356 ). 

Seriously, which version of Android do you have? I'm on a Moto phone with 8.1.0.

I'm about to conclude that I just have to accept this.

Thank you

• which version of Android do have

Android 9 with Samsung One UI v1.1. However it is still the same thing, just the color is different, and additionally there is the number of notifications in the dot. The dot still means that there is a notification from the app pending, and it has nothing to do with the watch being connected or not.

• Thanks for the reply. My older phone is up to date, so I think I'm at the end of the line for updates. 

Well maybe Garmin will fix.

Take care, Eric

• Well maybe Garmin will fix.

I do not understand what you whould like Garmin to fix? The dot has nothing to do with Garmin. The notification dot is placed on the application icons by the OS, when a system notification is availabe. 

• Well something must be presented differently, because only the Garmin app has a green dot that won't go away. Every other app that I have, that I have seen a green dot on, the green dot goes away when I open the app (and get to what is new). I've gone through every Connect screen, and don't see anything new, unless it's really buried... 

There must be some flag in the app, that the OS is picking up, right? 

It's entirely possible that I'm missing something, but I just don't know what it could be. 

Thank you for your help!

Sincerely, 

Eric

• The dot disappears when you clear the GC notifications from the status bar of the phone. It is purely an OS issue, it is useless trying to search inside of the app. If clearing the notifications from the system (after pulling down the status bar) does not help, then there is probably some notifiaction stuck, that your phone did not show for some reason, or there is something wrong with the OS. Simply shut down the GC app (swipe up from the task list), and start it again.