This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is there a way in Garmin Connect to see the live data of the current activity?

Is there a way in Garmin Connect to see the live data of the current activity (i.e. distance, pace, temperature, time, etc.)? I can only see the live HR and steps, but cannot find a way to display any other parameters. In many situations I'd prefer watching the data on the phone than on the watch. Not only I often can't easily read the tiny letters on the watch without glasses, but sometimes I have the watch under layers. Also on a bicycle, it would be much preferable to watch the activity data on a phone mounted on the handlebar.

Edit on 22nd April 2020 - added a poll for an Android app:

• without need off cellular coverage, just has a second screen .

Unfortunatelly, for this app, you do need mobile data coverage, since it reads the data from the LiveTrack (online), not directly from the watch over Bluetooth. Of, course, I'd prefere using the BT without mobile data, and eventually perhaps will, but when I requested at Garmin the access to the API and SDK, I had no response at all, so as a workaround I am using the LiveTrack feed instead.

I do not have a big hope for getting the access to the API / SDK from Garmin, though - it looks like they are not much interested in supporting independent developpers (apart Connect IQ), and rather seek for the cooperation with bigger corporate partners, who then pay license fees for the API usage. As they never replied, I do not know their licensing rates, but am afraid it would be another obstacle, that might make the app difficult to offer publicly, unless there is really a huge interest in it. I may prefer to (or be force to) try to hack the BT communication and to plug into it without the SDK. But again, that needs a lot of time and effort.

• yes sad, they expect us to buy an additional edge for biking. but i will not cause i am having my phone with me while i'm biking,  for security call in case off injuries or bike break ! 

so garmin phenix5 + edge + iPhone !! 500 grs of electronics ! 3 gps ... that 's crazy !

• and they should consider that the phenix 5 screen (sapphire ), is impossible to read while biking 

• No problem. Thanks for the reply! Do you know if it is possible to just mirror the screen of the watch to the phone? Actually, that was my initial idea. That way there would be no problem with navigation (e.g. using courses and maps of the watch itself).

I have no commercial interests at all. I have never created any app so I guess what would come out of my pipeline would also not be very clean and not good enough for commercial use :P

Thanks again and I wish you all the luck with your development!

• Do you know if it is possible to just mirror the screen of the watch to the phone?

Not sure what is possible with the SDK's. The Connect IQ SDK is not applicable for my case, since my watch does not support Connect IQ, and I have no access to the standard SDK's or API's. 

• Exactly what I was looking for. Perfect for cycling. I do not believe that Garmin is interested, as this is the function of the equipment of the cycling line.

• I'm very interested in the same use case you describe. My watch records everything (including pedaling cadence) but it's not convenient to look at while biking. I'm a big garmin fan bu this is a major limitation. If you need a demo user, hit me up!

• I'm very interested in this app... if you go further with the developments I will be here to consume it... :)

• Hi Trux,

I was hoping that there may have been some developments on this. I'm trying to save myself a bundle of cash by not buying an edge as I already have a Garmin watch with all the stuff I need on it. Eyesight is failing me, so the little 500 is almost pointless. :) . I think it would be great to have a phone app linking live feed from any fitness device. 

• How far away are the app you are working on?