This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Connect application shows different values for today steps in MyDay stats and „Steps details“ stats

I am wondering if others have the same problem: does Garmin Connect application show different values for today steps in MyDay stats and „Steps details“ stats?

It seems that Garmin Connect Android application has a problem with data processing/presentation.
Problem is repeatable –it is happening all the time since I first noticed it few days ago- and is related to data available within Android mobile application and on Garmin Connect online. This problem is NOT related to the watch itself.

Short problem description: each day at midnight steps/calories count drop for some (random?) value (of course, I am comparing steps shown as taken on MyDay stats at 23:59 and the steps value shown later at 00:01 as Yesterday stats).

Short problem example: yesterday at 23:59, both my watch and Garmin Connect app showed “today” steps count as 8000+; two minutes later, i.e. at 00:01, a value of 6712 was displayed under “yesterday" stats value in phone Garmin Connect app (instead of 8000+ value).

General problem description: watch tracks data values for steps, calories etc. and these same values are displayed both on the watch and in the phone app MyDay stats (app main screen). At the end of the day, at midnight, these values become "yesterday" values and drop to somewhat lower values. The difference is random, changes from day to day, and goes from few hundred steps/calories, up to a few thousands.

Such behavior has been noticed a week ago and since then it happens at each midnight, only the drop amount differs.

Please note that in reality, watch and phone app altogether provide four steps values /I will further reffer to these values as (1), (2), (3) and (4)/:

two on the watch

(1) Steps widget and

(2) graph bar on the steps widget,

two in the application

(3) MyDay steps and

(4) App graph bar/”steps details” = value shown at Garmin Connect online.

My expectation was that these are just four representations of the same value, but it is not: Actually, in my case (1)=(2)=(3) > (4).

The problem is that at the end of the day, the value (4) will become the final value for the day! This will happen at midnight, and the problem is that at that moment, this value may be for hundreds or even thousands lower then value (3) shown in MyDay stats.

This is particularly easy to spot on the days when (3) > goal > (4): you will receive a goal animation, “X day streak” etc, bar representing that day will become orange (“goal achieved”), but after the midnight, value will be changed to (4), and bar representing that specific day will change to blue (“goal not achieved”).

While investigating a problem, I believe I have found what should be (easily?) addressed by Garmin developers. I hope that these comments will help them to resolve it - the sooner the better.

If there is interest for it, I will provide detailed description with screenshots within this post.

• I’m having same problem! But, I have a iPhone not an android! 

• I am having the same or similar issue.

When I sync my garmin device to Connect Mobile, the "My Day" step figures match those on my garmin device, but the step figures presented in the "step detail" screen are hunderds and sometimes thousands less.

Sometimes overnight, the overall step count in the "my Day" screen drops down and then this is what is then displayed on my Garmin Device for that day.

This has been an issue for a few weeks and means I am frequently not meeting my step goal (even though I am according to my device).

• Have the same problem, had a nice 20 day streak of 10.000< steps and went to bed satisfied that I'd hit my goal with a slim margin of 55 steps but when I woke up the connect app on my android showed 9.761 steps. Not that big of a deal, but certainly annoying.

• I will provide an information regarding how I have "managed" to overcome this.

Please note: no software update helped - same behaviour continued. I also did what some users suggested: reset everything to factory defaults - no success. Actually, it did help at the moment, but within two days problem reappeared.

Unfortunatelly, I had to change my daily procedure and I am not very happy with that, since it means that user has to adapt to technology "needs" and not vice versa.

What have "helped" to me was very trivial:

1. at the end of the day, you have to manually confirm that values are synced and not only between watch and phone, but also with online account (for example, by checking this throug GC phone application - clicking on today steps); if these are not synced, then force a manual sync

2. when disconnecting watch and phone, take care to first turn OFF bluetooth on the phone, and only then turn OFF bluetooth on the watch; otherwise, steps values might differ again (not sure what could possibly be technical explanation for this "order of disconnecting")

So, for me, I have overcome the problem in the most irritating way: by adapting my behaviour not to the technology, but to the technology bugs.

• Tanks for sharing your work around, at least now I don't have to do the same investigation you have already done.

• I have the same problem. Very annoying 

• I had the same with a 70ish dat streak today. Very unpleasing.

• I have this problem too. Is this problem still not addressed by the Garmin developers???