This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ABORT_EPHEMERIS_REQUEST Error messages in Logfiles, EPO update broken

With the latest app version 4.16.1 these error messages are repeating endlessly in the app logfiles (you can download the app log in settings menu, diagnostics);

[FONT=courier new]Mar-19;6:02:57.801PM [DispatcherRead (D0:B7:FC:AF:B8:30)] D/GFDI#GpsEphemerisManager@dcb353b [D0:B7:FC:AF:B8:30] - ABORT_EPHEMERIS_REQUEST
Mar-19;6:02:57.802PM [DispatcherRead (D0:B7:FC:AF:B8:30)] D/GFDI#GpsEphemerisManager@dcb353b [D0:B7:FC:AF:B8:30] - Deleted /data/user/0/com.garmin.android.apps.connectmobile/files/downloads/3945602876_343608_epo.tmp
Mar-19;6:02:57.804PM [DispatcherRead (D0:B7:FC:AF:B8:30)] D/GFDI#GpsEphemerisManager@dcb353b [D0:B7:FC:AF:B8:30] - Remote device has requested the entire transfer to be aborted! Flush the transfer queue: [com.garmin.android.gfdi.gpsephemeris.GpsEphemerisManager$TransferItem@f87fb9f, (...)[/FONT]

This basically leads to the succeeding error "Remote device has requested the entire transfer to be aborted" which kills the upload of EPO.BIN to the watch.
Eventually, EPO.BIN is not updated on the watch, as this error process repeats endlessly preventing the prediction orbits for GPS to be updated.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is this a bug in the app or in the watch firmware or both?!

I'd try to approach Garmin support, but unfortunately, I have some doubts the first level support is able to understand these errors as they keep sending me standard replies from the FAQ...
  • HUMODDA - We are aware of this problem and we are working on a resolution. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. I will let you know here when the resolution has been released.
  • Thank you so much! I appreciate your kind answer a lot and am looking forward to the solution!
  • Any updates on this matter so far? Is the problem meanwhile addressed or is a solution still not feasible?
  • Hello, I've similar problem with connect mobile on Android.
    Even if diagnostics tell me
    GPS_EPHEMERIS_DOWNLOAD:true
    On my fenix 5x plus my epo remains expired.
    Same issue with my previous fenix 3 hr.
    Thanx a lot.

Stefano
  • I have the same issue. EPO.Bin file is completely missing

• I simply do not understand why it takes Garmin so long to fix this issue. Either it is very low priority or the developer team has no resources to work on that problem.

It's really nasty, without regular EPO.BIN updates, the GPS feature is highly affected, it takes very long for a GPS fix and accurracy in the first minutes after the fix is quite low.

I would highly appreciate it if a Garmin rep could at least provide an update on when to expect a fix to that issue.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

you could get your epo via this link http://www.javawa.nl/epo/epo.php?download=epo.bin

or

when epo expired do a GPS soak to get the full sat almanac updated on your watch

GPS soak = (start a GPS activity and put the watch outside for twenty minutes)

happy sporting

• You do not need this link, you may as well use Garmin Express, which would update the EPO.BIN file correctly.

Please consider, that the GPS almanach is not equal to the extended prediction orbit feature, which improves the GPS fix in a much quicker and longer time frame than the almanach data alone.

• Just to update you on my situation and perhaps help you.

I have 935 and yeah it wasn't working to update the EPO with Garmin Connect or Garmin Express. But I haven't had the internet for over a month (another annoying issue), so anyway when I finally had home internet again - I connected my watch to it directly through the wifi and lo and behold that worked in updating the EPO. Since then it has been back to acquiring GPS as normal (within 15 seconds).

It made realise that it had been so bad over the previous month and that it had probably been updating the EPO the whole time I'd had it (about 7 months) over the wifi.

Hopefully this might help you in some way - but it's still annoying

• Hello, I had fenix 3 hr and now I have fenix 5x plus but  same problems.

Only Garmin Express can update epo, but I need pc. I've tried with several watches but Garmin Service tell me that only Express can update almanac. 

If I connect the watch over wifi or via Bluetooth to Connect Mobile, epo remains expired.

Why this feature is not implemented on connect mobile?

Thanx