This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Livetrack issues unacceptable - Why isn't this high priority and deemed critical ?

I am well aware that there are several other posts about the current state of Livetrack on the Android platform, but I have intentionally created a new thread.

As a software engineer and architect of 25 years who has worked on both desktop and mobile platforms I am well qualified to comment on the current situation, and I find it unacceptable.

Lets analyse the situation as it stands, point form:

1. A system that was working perfectly for months, if not years, previously is now suddenly completely broken in multiple different ways.

LiveTrack refuses to start at all for many users, sometimes it will only start manually and not automatically, and sometimes it will start both manually and automatically, but then it refuses to stop automatically if it started automatically.

That's 3 separate and distinct issues with LiveTrack that have now appeared at the same time, out of nowhere, directly related to recent updates to the Garmin Connect app for Android.

2. A multitude of different users are all reporting the same issues, all of whom did not have these problems previously, which clearly indicates to me that the problem lies squarely with the Garmin Connect software on Android (or possibly compatibility issues between that software and the latest version/s of the Android OS), and it has nothing to do with customers hardware or customers doing something wrong.

Re-installing the Garmin Connect app does not fix the problems permanently or properly.

Deleting all application data for the Garmin Connect App does not fix the problems either.

3. Having re-installed the Garmin Connect software on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, which has never had any problem running Connect or Livetrack before, 4 times in the last 3 days, and observing that re-installation only temporarily fixes the problem, I can safely say that re-installation is NOT a solution to the current issues, certainly not with the current version of the software.

I haven't trained for several months due to medical problems, but when I stopped training everything was working perfectly my side, with the SAME phone and the SAME Garmin Edge 520.

Now I come back a few months later, install all the pending updates, and suddenly things that were working, literally for years, simply do not work anymore and are completely broken and unusable?

I find this state of affairs to be completely unacceptable for several reasons, namely:

1. First rule of deploying software updates live is: You do not remove functionality unless you plan to replace it with something better and you NEVER introduce changes that break backward compatibility or are considered breaking changes in any way.

2. LiveTrack is a SAFETY feature that many people rely on, and is one of the best things that Garmin have done on their platform, and yet there appears to be no sense of urgency to fix this problem? Why not?

I fail to understand how these current LiveTrack issues are not deemed to be Critical Severity A issues that warrant an emergency hot fix. Where I currently work, something this damaging to the company's reputation, having this much of a negative impact on users, would immediately be escalated to our highest severity level and our developers would basically LIVE at the office until this was resolved and a hot fix was released to patch this ... WITHIN 48 HOURS maximum.

3. If Garmin know that it's their software causing this, and I think we can all agree that it's patently obvious that it is at this point, but they don't know how to fix it and are battling to pin down the root cause, then they need to ADMIT that and COMMUNICATE with their user base properly, instead of ignoring all of us and refusing to deal with the issue.

Have they never heard of public relations?

Having spent the last 3 days of my life fighting with the Garmin Connect app and LiveTrack, having LiveTrack work when it feels like it (in different ways, apparently depending on the time of day, the phase of the moon, and who knows what else), or not work at all, I am now at the end of my tether.

This is not new software and not even a new feature in existing software. This was working perfectly, for a very long time, and somebody did something to break it, and Garmin need to figure out who did what, and fix it. And they should do so as a matter of urgency, not take 6 to 8 weeks to maybe release a patch, while they refuse to communicate.

Furthermore, this is not even difficult to reproduce. I've managed to get it to break multiple times in the last 3 days, in multiple different ways, without even trying to break it. In fact, I was trying NOT TO break it.

@Garmin: What is going on? What are you doing to fix this? Why is this not being dealt with urgently as it should be? Why are you not communicating with your users properly?
  • YES!! 

Since a longtime … Yesterday (2019 May 19) LiveTracking has started automatically AND is visible also after finishing the activity.

Today i checked again and the Activity is still visible . :) 

I hope the problems are solved now… I will keep testing  .. but i's going the way it was before nov 2018 … good!

• Again?

What a joke, Garmin's software and management. Things that once worked 'fine' get broken over and over. Who is writing this code? Fire them. Who is testing it before release? No one, obviously. Hire some.

Btw, this 'extend for 24hrs' is lame (i can have 2hr video on youtube 'forever' but a .fit of a few mb is too expensive for garmin?

Even if Garmin is that poor, or about to be made obsolete by phones with ANT, BT and better GPS, the livetrack should extend for 24hr from the END of the ride, not the beginning. When I go on a 23, 26h one shot ride, by the end it has already expired.

What was the last working version, anyway? Time for that apk time machine, again...

• I have a Garmin Edge 820 and a Verizon Galaxy Note 4, I ride every day and would be happy to help test in anyway.  The problem affects me too.  Actually, it affects my wife which is more important.

• Since last update of Garmin App 2-3 days ago, LiveTrack no work anymore. LiveTrack interrupted or not found :-( Sorry Garmin, but too many problems, too long time, always troubles. Not funny anymore :-(

• I'm having recent problems with Livetrack as well. It seems to start normally but when my wife clicks on the link it says: "This tracking session was canceled or does not exist." This is not cool. I'm using a Garmin 130 tethered to my Samsung S7 Edge. The app updated before my ride today but that didn't help

• My 'Start LiveTrack' button has completely disappeared today, even with my Garmin connected. What is happening, Garmin?

• Actively working on it?  I had issues almost a year ago and called in.  I was told no one else was having an issue so it must be my phone.  Still had issues 8 months ago and was told there weren't any reports of issues with Livetrack.  In January is basically stopped working altogether and was told the issues could not be recreated.  Every time I had to erase all my program data, factory reset my watch, and reinstall everything.  Now I find hundreds of other people have been having these issues for almost a year and it isn't resolved.  Now I just feel lied to and cheated.

• We are still actively working on t

You've been using the same canned response for months now. You have totally mislead all your users on a feature that doesn't work. You love taking our money for the devices and basically have zero intention of supporting the software.  

• Live Track stopped working for me months ago! what's happening?? It was a safeguard for my spouse when I'm out riding alone. I have the Edge520 along with a Pixel phone...

• FYI, I'm having the same issues with  IOS.