This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Outlook Calendar with Garmin Connect and Watch Calendar Widget.

Hi,
Did anyone manage to find a trick to sync the watch widget with the Outlook app calendar (instead of the Google Calendar, which I don't use).???
It would be great if we could connect "Garmin Connect" with Microsoft account and Outlook Calendar...

The cherry on the cake would be a Cortana Skill integration. Cortana and Microsoft Accounts / apps are cross platform and work seamlessly on iOS, Android and PC... One account for all platforms (including Xbox etc!) Cortana integration with Garmin, similar to how it is already done with Fitbit, would be great (Garmin developers? https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/cortana ).

If anyone has any experience using Outlook.com within the Garmin ecosystem, please share your experiences.

Thank you.

Tony.
  • I use the Outlook app for both consumer accounts, i.e., Outlook.com and also Office365 for business. I also have Gmail account set up in the Outlook app. You didn't note your operating system, so I will just explain how I get everything to work reliably on Android.

The Outlook app (available for iOS and Android) pulls calendar sync information directly from the accounts, including Outlook.com, O365, Google calendars (it used to just pull from the native calendar app on the phone), so as far as getting notifications, creating events and contacts, Outlook does all this as a standalone app. As such, Smart Notifications, if enabled for Outlook in GCM, will display any mail or calendar notifications on the Garmin wearable's notification widget that you have enabled from within the Outlook app.

As for the calendar widget, Garmin pulls this data from the native phone calendar app. So in order for the calendar widget to populate, you need to enable all the calendar accounts you want to show in the widget in the native calendar app. Turn off all notifications in the native calendar app, and also do not enable Smart Notifications for the calendar app in GCM to prevent multiple event notifications. The native calendar will sync in the background and you won't need to look at it or launch it, going forward. Garmin doesn't have a way to specify from where it grabs the calendar agenda data, even if you decided to use a stand-alone calendar app other than the native Android one. Also, since Outlook is an integrated email and calendar app, it's hard to believe Garmin would implement anything with Outlook anytime soon.

If you have MS business, enterprise, or multiple consumer emails, calendar, and contacts accounts, the Outlook app is a must to get everything to work together. As for Cortana, I wouldn't count on any development of integrated apps anytime soon, so if that is something you're interested in, there are a couple of ways to handle this. If you install the Cortana app, you can specify it as your default voice assistant. Then, enable Smart Notifications in GCM. By default, Cortana integrates fully with all of your Microsoft accounts, so you can get whatever notifications, reminders, etc. you'd like from Cortana on your wearable. Plus, Cortana has some unique skills built in to support their accounts, plus, it will be cross-integrated with Alexa sometime in April, which should provide a powerful combination of MS enterprise functions and access to skills that Alexa has for the consumer-facing market, where they reign supreme.

If you're on Android, you can also replace your current launcher with the Microsoft Launcher. It has all Cortana functionality integrated, and it does some other clever things with the integrated calendar card across multiple accounts. The MS Launcher consolidates notifications and you can enable it in Smart Notifications. I have done a full immersion into their ecosystem because it makes for a seamless integration between my personal and business accounts. MS has done an exceptional job of making non-Microsoft accounts, like Gmail, work painlessly within their ecosystem, and you don't have to buy into Bing, Edge browser, or other MS products if you don't want to.

I have a number of colleagues who have done much of the same with the Outlook app for iOS and integrating with the iOS calendar. Perhaps someone immersed in the Apple ecosystem will chime in as well.
  • Thanks for the details answer... good to read from a like-minded person.

Indeed, I am full on Microsoft for the same reasons as you, seamless integration between all platforms and devices (PC and phone), no adds, bloatware etc, clean and powerful app etc.
    With the end of Windows Mobile, I had to move to Android (pending the mystical Andromeda device!).

I have the excellent Microsoft Launcher installed and Cortana enabled as my default voice assistant.
    I use Outlook as my main app for multiple MS email accounts, Calendar and contacts (all in one app!)
    I also use the excellent MS Edge browser (clean and powerful features when used with MS Launcher (continue on PC, Sync settings, bookmarks etc with my PCs, etc)).
    I also prefers Bing as it gives, perhaps less, but certainly more accurate/refines results than Google.

My biggest issue is with the Garmin Calendar Widget.
    As this only sync with the native phone calendar (google calendar), I guess that my appointments also need to be populated into the google calendar. I've aslo tuned off all notifications for the google calendar app, which I don't use.

Is there a way to sync the outlook calendars with the google app?

I have played with the free Microsoft "flow" tool to automate the replication of an outlook calendar appointment automatically into the Google Calendar, but this is not perfect.

Any idea how to sync outlook and google calendar ??? since Garmin can't get the calendar data direct from outlook.com.

Thanks.

Tony
  • The Outlook calendars you've set up and native Google calendars will always be in sync by default. Whenever you add or modify an event in Outlook it syncs to whichever calendar you chose for the event. As such, the native Google calendar app will update the next time it syncs and the calendar widget on your Garmin wearable will be up to date. I don't think you need to do any Flow or IFTTT scripting if all you are seeking is a calendar sync so your wearable is up to date.

Yes, many of the tools MS has built on Android are useful and were worth implementing, at least for me, since my business and personal communications are tightly integrated. I never did Windows Phone, it was so little, so late, it was DOA the moment it was introduced. MS under Balmer was incapable of any form of agility to be successful in a consumer-facing market where a catch-up strategy is an assured failure. They have been my goto for a business platform and I am actually delighted with their trajectory of supporting popular devices and ecosystems so I can have a mainstream device with broad third-party participation and still have my needs easily met for biz com.
  • Hi Brian, Your detailed post is much appreciated.
    I had my calendar widget working fine and then had to reset my phone and can't for the life of me get it to work again. So frustrating! Could you please go into explicit detail about this? "So in order for the calendar widget to populate, you need to enable all the calendar accounts you want to show in the widget in the native calendar app."
    I have added my GMail account to the Outlook app, but in the Calendar app there is no place to add / change / activate any other accounts or calendars - only GCal calendars.

Thanks!
  • I had an account in Mac mail unlike many other users, I was not a sincere admirer neither Outlook 2013 nor 2010, but I thought that for business it's really worth taking into account modern changes in email clients and tried using O2016 as well as my colleagues.
    My personal experience was to get a program that doesn't require additional knowledge or commands for export. And wanted I could also connect MacBook Pro security to a new account. Actually here the migration tool for export mac mail to outlook converts all messages and attachments at once without any changes.

You may try and besides you already know how to set page breaks, if necessary ...