This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Bluetooth Connectivity

Ok I am not sure whether it's due to the latest Garmin acquisition or the Earthmate app itself, but I used Earthmate before it changed to a Garmin icon the entire year of 2016 with no problems. Flawless. Texting, tracking, everything.

Now, the app updated, got a new icon with the Garmin logo - and it just simply will not connect in the APP. My inReach says it's connected to my phone like normal, my phone says it's connected to my inReach in the Bluetooth settings - but the app constantly says "Device Not Connected" and does not interact with my inReach at all anymore. I can't do anything.

I've tried "forgetting" the device and re-pairing it countless times. I've restarted both devices, phone and inReach countless times. I've deleted the Earthmate app and re-downloaded it twice. Nothing works.

Can you please revert back to the old version that actually worked? Or explain what is going on? I pay a high premium for this service, the unlimited plan, and expect it to work simply because it HAS worked before Garmin - it seems Garmin is the culprit because when it was just DeLorme, it worked 100% of the time without a hitch, and I never had to waste hours trying to troubleshoot it and now post on a forum somewhere hoping someone replies.
  • I suggest you try this approach. I know it was suggested by an Android user, but it seems to have solved to the problem for an iOS user as well.

The salient points are as follows.

After telling both the phone and the inReach to "forget" one another, reboot both devices.
    Without running the Earthmate app, pair the inReach and the phone using the phone's Bluetooth settings options.
    Reboot both devices again.
    Run the Earthmate app. It should connect automatically.

In particular, do not try to pair from inside the Earthmate app.

Hat tip to HL649.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 7 years ago
    My fix was to remove the app and reinstall it.
  • Thanks

I suggest you try this approach. I know it was suggested by an Android user, but it seems to have solved to the problem for an iOS user as well.

The salient points are as follows.

After telling both the phone and the inReach to "forget" one another, reboot both devices.
    Without running the Earthmate app, pair the inReach and the phone using the phone's Bluetooth settings options.
    Reboot both devices again.
    Run the Earthmate app. It should connect automatically.

In particular, do not try to pair from inside the Earthmate app.

Hat tip to HL649.

Well - although this type of process shouldn't have really been necessary since it wasn't broke originally, it seems to have worked. After a long day of no cell phone service in the Saudi Arabian desert, I was able to use my iPhone with Earthmate + inReach all day without connection issues to send and receive texts. Thanks!