This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

The 7-year old Garmin problem: Can't update watch but need to to download apps

It's the old-as-the-hills Garmin problem that thousands of other people have come across:

I'm trying to install Amazon music, but I can't because I need to update via Garmin Express, the software app that nobody wants or asked for.  It's a bit sad how a smart watch in 2022 relies on desktop software.

Obviously Garmin Express can't find any new firmware.  My Fenix 7 says it's running version 7.47.  I know that versions 8.35 and 8.37 have been released since, but I'm not allowed them yet.  Why not?  Did I not pay enough money?  I could have sworn I did.

Do you think this is reasonable or acceptable, Garmin?

What are you playing at?  Do you lack the skill?  Just be honest.

Do I just have to wait until you can be bothered sending the update?  No music until then?

• At the very least, you'd think they would prioritise updates for new watches (received mine 2 hours ago), so that people who have just bought a watch can get up and running.

• Garmin watches do not need Garmin Express for the firmware update. They update also through the Garmin Connect Mobile app. You can also update the firmware to the latest alpha version manually over the USB cable (also without Garmin Expres).

However, it is not really surprising that you did not get the v9.33 yet, because the roll-out is currently at 5% only, so it may take a few days or weeks before it is at 100% - it depends on the number of issues reported by those who already got the new version. You can check the state of the roll-out at any moment at https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-recreation/outdoor-recreation/f/fenix-7-series/306156/system-software-9-33 

• If they don't need Garmin Express to update, the app store shouldn't say they do! This really isn't difficult.

I didn't mention v9.33; why would I? It wasn't out when I posted this.

There are several very obvious solutions to this.

1) Allow previous app versions based on the watch firmware. The problem is then solved because you're not stuck without an app while they roll out updates at snail pace.

2) Always allow a brand new device to update to the latest stable firmware.

3) Increase the update roll-out pace. Have a look a how other companies do it.