This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

30 hours to download a map update?

Hi

I've just received my new Garmin Edge Touring and downloaded Garmin Express onto my Macbook Pro. I was told there was a map update so I clicked update, as requested.

However, after 30 minutes, I'm told that the update will take 30 hours, and the progress bar is barely moving. I have a reasonably fast fibre (40Mbps) connection, so what's wrong?

It says not to disconnect the Edge during the download but I'd really like to go and try it out, so it is already to disconnect it? I assume it doesn't actually install the update until the maps have fully downloaded.

Thanks

Phil
  • Philsy

I am sorry that you are having trouble with your download. The downloads are very large (this is 5.8GB not Mb) so it can take awhile to download the maps. If the wired connection does not solve the problem, please try the remaining steps from this FAQ:
    What should I do if I am having problems downloading updates in Garmin Express?

If you are still having trouble, please contact support by phone.

Jason
  • Hi Jason

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's a large file but with a fast fibre connection, it shouldn't take so long. I'm down to the last hour now!

Cheers

Phil
  • Argh!! After leaving this overnight to finish. I get a Garmin Express screen telling me everything is up to date. However, after removing the Garmin and plugging it back in again, I'm told there are two updates available - Routable Cycle Map of Europe 5.8Gb (the one I was trying to download yesterday) plus a Time Zone Map (603.6kb).

Can I download the map separately and copy it onto the SC card? Thus bypassing Garmin Express?

Phil
  • I'm not sure with that map but in Express there is a 'Map options' link that allows you (for the CN maps anyway) to install to your PC/Mac, and then to your device. Instructions are here:

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={775bea70-ced3-11e2-4085-000000000000}
  • Thanks, unfortunately that option isn't offered on my set-up
  • Philsy

At this point, I would suggest contacting support as Jason mentioned to troubleshoot this issue further.

Albert
  • I've also got >24 hour estimated download times using Garmin Express on my Mac for map updates on my Edge Touring Plus and I've got 100M broadband service.

For the last few updates, I've started the download late in the evening, left it running overnight and it has been complete in the morning. So I don't know how long it has actually taken but it has certainly been less than the original estimate from Garmin Express.

Download speeds generally do improve overnight with less people online, but I don't know if this is a factor, or if Garmin Express time estimate is inaccurate to start with.
  • I have never had a map update take longer than 2 hours, the latest full CN EU map took just under the hour. If anyone is having long map downloads it would be worth talking to your ISP to see if they are throttling the download.
  • Another point to consider is that on Macs, it has sometimes been the case that a partial or failed map download will "stall" the process and GE simply keeps extending the estimated download time out into the future.

The only cure I've found is to remove all traces of the failed download and start again. Note that this will require getting into the hidden user Library, which you can do using the Option key while looking at the Go menu in the Finder.

-dan
  • Philsy

Your account indicates that a map update was done on the 18th. Express reads the installed map version from a file on the Edge. The Edge updates this file once it is disconnected from the computer and allowed to start up. Express can report an available update if the device is not given the chance to update the file or if there is an issue updating the file. If you continue to have troubles, remove the device from Express then restart it along with the Mac. Express should report that you are up to date when you add it back again.

Curt